Biergarten: beer festival and traditional activities at Poble Espanyol
Think Oktoberfest, but in the spring, and in Barcelona... and you've got BierGarten, an open-air festival for beer fans. Cheers!
Av. Francesc Ferrer i Guardia 13
metro: Espanya (L1 L3)
27th April - 1st May and 4th-6th May 2018
free for residents of Catalonia
free if you book a table
for the variety of beers on offer
The BierGarten Festival is held at Poble Espanyol in late April – early May each year, and it’s a must for beer lovers!
A BierGarten in a magical setting
The BierGarten festival is held in the magical setting of Poble Espanyol, a gigantic open-air museum which includes lifesize reproductions of typical buildings, streets and squares from different cities across Spain.
Entry to Poble Espanyol is usually quite expensive, at around 11 euros, but during BierGarten, you can get in for free!
BierGarten: homage to German beer festivals
In case you hadn’t worked it out, “Bier” and “garten” mean “beer” and “garden” in German: essentially, a huge open-air bar with a fun and laid-back atmosphere.
As you may well have guessed, beer is the star of the show! It’s only served in 1L mugs… so don’t say we didn’t warn you. A wide range of beers are available, from classics such as Grimbergen or Kronenbourg to lesser-known options like Mahou Negra (so dark it’s almost black) or La Blue (beer with vodka), alongside gluten-free options for those with sensitivities.
The festival programme also includes contests, workshops and concerts! For the full event schedule, click here.
With the quantity of beer on offer, it’s just as well that there’s also food available. Traditional Bavarian treats are on offer throughout the festival.
Access to the BierGarten
- Access to the festival (which includes entry to Poble Espanyol) is free for residents of Catalonia. You’ll just need to pay for your drinks (and any food you buy).
- You can also book a table online. This option also means you won’t have to queue. Remember to print your booking confirmation, you may need to present it to get in.
- Under-18s are allowed into the festival but will not be sold alcohol. They must also be accompanied by an adult (over-18).
- You can’t bring your own food or alcoholic drinks into the festival. Try to avoid bringing too much with you, as there’s nowhere to leave bags on-site.
Booking a table
- You can book a table at BierGarten using this link.
- The tables all seat between 8 and 10, so expect to be sharing with strangers – a great way of meeting people!
- Reservations are for specific time slots. Try and arrive in time for the start of your slot, otherwise you may find your table is already taken.
When you make the reservation you also have to book the menu that includes: a frankfurt, bratwurst or pikanwurst, a serving of chips and a one liter beer for €12.50.
Dates and times
- Friday, 27th of April, 2018: 6pm to 2am
- Saturday, 28th of April, 2018: from 12pm to 2am
- Sunday, 29th of April, 2018 from 12pm to 2am
- Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 from 12pm to 9pm
- Friday, 4th of May, 2018 from 6pm to 2am
- Saturday, 5th of May, 2018 from 12pm to 2am
- Sunday, 6th of May, 2018 from 12am to 9pm
Enjoy the festival – cheers!
Like this article?