Carite Bar & Lounge: a fresh, tasty and flavoursome hit!
Article updated 13 March, 2019.
Love at first sight, or love at first bite? Either way, Carite is a big hit, offering top quality food, friendly service and great value!
Tuesday - Friday: 9am - 11pm
Saturday: 10am - 4pm
brunch and meals: €8 - 12
cocktails from €3
because it's a sure-fire hit!
The folks at Carite Bar & Lounge seem to have found the perfect recipe for success, and we’re here to share it with you! Here goes…
- Take fresh, top-quality products.
- Blend together with love.
- Add a spoonful of tropical zest and a few pinches of Mediterranean flavours.
- Sprinkle on a generous helping of South American “cariño”.
- Serve with a side order of elegance.
- Enjoy your meal in a warm, friendly atmosphere offering excellent value for money!
Carite: it’s all in the family
Carite is a family affair, run by four adorable and professional Venezuelans. Frank, the chef, is a childhood friend of Alejandro, who is Maite’s son; his aunt, Loli, makes the desserts. Got that? 😉
From the outset, the team focused on creating a warm environment where everyone can feel at home. They took care of every detail of the decor themselves, even going as far as making their own wooden furniture for the bar and lounge. Just around the corner from the picturesque mercat de la Concepció, Carite finally opened to the public in August 2017 – and the hard work has definitely paid off!
Carite features several distinct spaces, so you’re sure to find somewhere that’s just right for you:
- A small internal terrace which opens onto Carrer Girona: comfy and welcoming, with pretty wicker furniture
- A bar and two main spaces (the second is suitable for groups and can be reserved)
- A few tables outside: enjoy the weather and a spot of people-watching on the peaceful passage of mercat de la Concepció.
Carite: crossing continents
Frank, the chef, creates fusion dishes using fresh market produce and a whole lot of love, revising and updating specialities from both Europe and South America.
Venezuelan cuisine also features on the menu, as you might suspect! (Carite is the name of a fish eaten in Venezuela.)
- Top tip: don’t miss the delicious tequeños, a type of breadstick stuffed with Venezuelan soft cheese and served with a spicy apple sauce: they’re just incredible!
Frank also adds a touch of Mediterranean influence here and there to create new flavour combinations, with very tasty results.
- The salads at Carite are presented in pretty fish bowls – original and fun! The choice of ingredients is also inventive, including avocados, hummus, edamame, cherry tomatoes, quinoa, falafel and more, in a never-ending variety of tasty combinations.
There’s plenty more on offer, but we can’t list everything here. In short, anything you choose from the menu at Carite is bound to be fresh and extremely tasty. The downside? It’s almost impossible to pick just one thing from the list of hot dishes and salad bowls (vegan, vegetarian or falafel) because it’s all delicious!
A special mention goes to the Eggs Benedict, presented on artisan bread from Turris. If you’re the weeping type, they may even bring a tear to your eye!
Carite, home of spectacular desserts
If the sight of that carrot cake alone doesn’t send your tastebuds into overdrive, then we don’t know what will… maybe the melt-in-the-mouth chocolate cake? Or a delicious and beautifully-presented slice of plum tart? As Oscar Wilde once said, the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it, so don’t even try to resist.
Exotic cocktails and more at Carite
Alejandro kicks things up a notch in the evenings, presenting a whole range of cocktails, including classic or seasonal mojitos, kaipiroska, kiwi Kaipirinha (try saying that after a couple of drinks), mimosas and more.
Carite: budget-friendly treats
Yet more good news: you shouldn’t leave Carite out of pocket!
- To celebrate its opening, the bar and lounge is currently offering 2 mojitos and a portion tequeños for 10 euros. Bargain!
- The lunchtime special features a starter, main and dessert from a selection of 3 options on offer, and is priced around 12 euros.
- Mains, sandwiches and salad bowls will set you back between 4 and 8 euros, and the (delicious) desserts cost around 4 euros.
Just like Mary Poppins, Carite is practically perfect in every way – exactly the sort of place we enjoy telling people about here at Top Tips!
Think we’re laying it on a bit thick? You’ll just have to go and see for yourself, then. But we’re pretty sure you’ll love it!
Like this article?