Obrador la Nena: healthy and budget-friendly food to take away
Article updated 14 November, 2018.
Some days, there's nothing better than a picnic lunch! Obrador la Nena offers a range of balanced, healthy and budget-friendly options - so it's well worth a visit.
metro: Diagonal (L3 or L5)
Santa Tecla 8
Monday to Friday 9am - 8pm
set lunch: €7.50
for fresh and seasonal products
for the low prices
There are so many things to discover in Barcelona that you don’t necessarily want to spend hours over a sit-down lunch. That doesn’t mean you have to resort to supermarket sandwiches, though! Obrador la Nena, expertly run by Helena and her team, serves healthy and balanced food to take away. An excellent source of picnic supplies!
Obrador la Nena is tucked away down a little street in the Gràcia quarter – so it’s not the kind of place you find by accident.
Obrador la Nena: small but perfectly formed
There’s a blackboard by the door showing the menu, and presentation stands with the day’s soups and salads. Quiches and cakes are displayed at the counter in the middle of the space.
At the back of the room, you’ll be able to see the Obrador la Nena staff at work, whipping up tasty treats for customers, but also for La Nena, a welcoming café serving delicious food a few streets away.
Obrador la Nena: tasty, healthy food
The set lunch menu costs €7.50 (drinks not included).
- There’s a choice of two starters, either soup or your choice from the salad bar.
- When we visited, the main course was a range of original quiches, including spinach, pine-nut and mató (Catalan soft cheese), leek and brie, and courgette and goats’ cheese.
- There were also brown rice and mushroom fritters on offer, served with broccoli and tomato sauce.
We particularly enjoyed the spinach and mató quiche – highly recommended!
Finally, choose your dessert from a range of homemade cakes. The one below was a chocolate and banana loaf. Not too shabby!
Helena and her team make sure no-one’s left out, serving gluten-free options alongside their regular cakes. If you’d rather end your meal on a lighter note, there are also homemade compotes or rice pudding on offer.
Obrador La Nena: useful information
- Obrador La Nena is open from Monday to Friday, 9am – 8pm.
- The staff speak a variety of languages.
- Homemade cakes can be ordered by calling (34) 933 68 20 84.
- The Obrador also sells biscuits, including some truly delicious chocolate cookies.
- Everything is designed to be taken away, served in trays and with cutlery provided. Note that the Obrador doesn’t sell drinks, so you might want to pick one up somewhere else. We suggest taking your meal to one of the quarter’s many little squares to eat it (for example the one on Vila de Gràcia).
7 good reasons to visit Obrador la Nena
- Obrador la Nena makes cakes for Nena, a café in the Gràcia quarter which we highly recommend.
- The ingredients are all fresh, top-quality and healthy.
- The specialities on offer are well-balanced and flavoursome, and all made with love!
- The gluten-free options are fabulous, making this a particularly good destination for celiacs.
- There’s a warm, friendly atmosphere, due to the kindness and hospitality of Helena and her staff.
- Obrador la Nena is very popular with the locals: always a good sign!
- Helena is truly passionate about what she does, and is more than happy to talk about it. She speaks good French as well as Spanish and Catalan.
Like this article?