Alcoba Azul: authentic cuisine and an intriguing atmosphere
Article updated 28 August, 2019.
Alcoba Azul is a charming little bar and restaurant, a great place for a delicious and refreshing pause in the heart of Barcelona's old town!
Carrer Sant Domenec del Call 14
metro: Jaume I (L4) ou Liceu (L3)
meals: between 10 and 15 euros
for fresh and top-quality cooking
for its charming atmosphere
The Carrer Sant Domènec del Call is a street in the heart of the Gothic quarter with more than its share of hidden gems. Our absolute favourite is the Alcoba Azul (the Blue Room).
Let yourself be swept away by delicious food and laid-back jazz for a truly memorable pause in the middle of Barcelona’s old town!
Alcoba Azul: small and intimate, but still room for a terrace
The bar/restaurant’s name suits it down to the ground: the minute you step through the door, you get the distinct feeling of being in someone’s house. The stone walls, wooden furniture and soft lighting create a feeling of comfort and security.
The bar has developed quite a reputation, and you may have to wait to get a table. If so, give your name to one of the staff and make yourself comfortable at the bar with a glass of (excellent) wine or a cold beer.
The terrace, which borders the charming Plaça Manuel Ribé, is also a nice place to sit, but once again, it can be hard to get a seat.
Spanish cuisine with a twist at Alcoba Azul
Although the menu is fairly extensive, the chef at Alcoba Azul describes his cuisine as “bar-style food, simple, but with a twist”.
All of the products used in the kitchens come from Catalonia and Extremadura, the owners’ home region.
The menu includes a choice of salads, open sandwiches and a variety of tapas: so far, nothing out of the ordinary. But just wait…
- Salads come with toppings including avocado, pistachios, fresh goats’ cheese, Iberico ham, smoked salmon, bacon, pine nuts or raisins, with a raspberry vinaigrette. not just any salad…
- The open sandwiches are all so appetising that you’ll have a hard time choosing
- The tapas include such wonders as patatas acordeón, melted Torta cheese and a pork and roquefort pâté…
- Your first drink will be served with a pinxo, a small slice of bread with a special home-made topping. Delicious!
If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll want to save space for dessert – either the sublime lemon tart, or an extraordinary chocolate lava cake.
Alcoba Azul: simple and authentic
No fuss, no frills: just cheap, delicious food and a great place to spend time with friends or family!
Staff are more than willing to help you choose food and drinks, and the bill comes with a little hand-written note and a few brightly-coloured sweets.
- The only downside is the opening times. In winter, the Alcoba only opens its doors at 4 or even 6pm, staying open until 2am. In summer, the bar may be open from noon on a good day, but sometimes you’ll still have to wait til 4pm.
- Price-wise, an open sandwich or a (huge) salad will cost €8-9, plus €3 for a glass of wine or €2 for a beer.
- Remember to take cash: at the time of writing, the bar doesn’t take cards.
Like this article?