The CaixaForum culture centre: temporary exhibitions, concerts, debates and cinema seasons
CaixaForum is a culture centre which plays host to top-quality exhibitions. Let yourself be swept away by the charm and elegance of the setting!
Av. Francesc Ferrer i Guàrdia 6-8
metro: Espanya (L1 L3)
Closed 25th December and 1st and 6th January
Temporary exhibitions: €4
for the quality of the exhibitions
CaixaForum is a beautiful space, best known for its temporary exhibitions, but offering a wide range of other activities.
The historic CaixaForum building
From textile factory to culture centre
CaixaForum is housed in a former textile factory designed by the architect Puig i Cadafalch, one of the great figures of Catalan art nouveau alongside Domenech i Montaner and Gaudí. The edifice is a magnificent example of 20th-centrury modernist architecture in Catalonia.
When the factory closed, the building was acquired by Caixa, a Catalan bank, and transformed into a culture centre.
A unique and welcoming space
In order to give the building the treatment it deserved, celebrated modern architects including Arata Isozaki and Francisco Javier Asarta were brought in to direct the restoration.
The centre now covers 12,000 square metres, over 2500 of which are given over to exhibition space. The interior design creates a harmonious contrast with the modernist exterior, and features an impressive and original mural by Sol LeWitt.
The first exhibitions at CaixaForum were held in 2002. Entrance was initially free, but the Caixa foundation has since introduced a charge for visitors who are not clients of the bank. The experience is well worth the price of the ticket, though.
- The bookshop on the ground floor is also well worth exploring.
- The roof terrace also merits a visit, with its unusual undulating floor. The terrace also offers superb views over the MNAC.
Exhibitions at CaixaForum
CaixaForum plays host to multiple exhibitions all year round, which generally run for between 3 and 6 months. They cover a variety of art forms, from painting to architecture, photography to cinema, classical, modern and contemporary art. The standard is generally very high and the exhibitions are well-organised: recent editions have featured Chaplin, Dalí, Rodin, Rubens, Renoir, Picasso and Méliès.
- The La Caixa Foundation also holds one of Spain’s most important collections of contemporary art, which is sometimes put on display as a separate exhibition.
From March 23 to June 24, 2018, CaixaForum presents a vast collection of drawings, from watercolor to digital printing, that guide the visitor through the creative journey of Disney Studios.
The exhibition explains the characters and plots of classical literature and their movement and change into the sensibility of animated films.
The many sides of CaixaForum
In addition to exhibitions, CaixaForum organises a wide range of cultureal, social and educational events including concerts, film screenings, debates and conferences, staged shows and multimedia activities.
- Access to the exhibitions costs €4 (€3.80 if you book through this link).
- Entry is free for Caixa clients and for under-16s.
- Concert tickets are priced at around €12.
- Film screenings cost around €4, or €2 for clients of the bank.
- The price of other activities varies depending on the type. See the online events calendar for more information.
- Monday-Sunday and public holidays: 10am – 8pm.
- Wednesdays in July and August: 10am – 11pm.
- 24th and 31st December and 5th January: 10am – 6pm.
- Closed 25th December, 1st and 6th January.
- CaixaForum is fully wheelchair-accessible, and wheelchairs are available to borrow at the information point.
- Special guided visits of the exhibitions and the building for the blind or visually-impaired can be arranged on request by calling +34 93 476 86 30. Certain tactile elements can also be touched.
- The centre has a loop system for hearing aid users.
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the building.
- Visits in sign language and for individuals with physical or learning difficulties can also be arranged by calling +34 93 476 86 30.
- Pushchairs are available on request.
- The café, a pretty and peaceful space to take a break during your visit, offers special gluten-free and diabetic-friendly menus.
Like this article?