You only have to step inside to feel like you’ve been transported to another era. Casa López has been around for more than 40 years and it has hardly changed since its doors first opened. It might not look like much from the outside, but once you’re inside you will love it!
In 2011 there was a change of ownership, and it was a local couple, Antònia and her partner Joan, who took on the bar. And thankfully they have tried to maintain the authentic essence that makes this place so special.
Casa López and its authentic atmosphere
The old wooden tables, the original tiles on the bar and the Catalan sausage hanging from the wall give this bar a very local feel.
In fact, it’s a regular meeting point for locals, and match days are positively sacred. The moment you walk in, you notice various screens showing the match, and the atmosphere can get pretty intense!
You will also encounter locals chatting quietly over some nibbles or even some older local characters playing cards while drinking a glass of wine or a coffee. Here the atmosphere varies but it is always very Barcelona!
Casa López and its simple and delicious tapas
Forget about luxury and sophisticated food, and open your heart to everyday Catalan cooking! Here, they celebrate authentic cuisine and they do it very well, following grandmothers’ recipes to the letter. The result is an explosion of flavors!
And since we were in the mood for something traditional, we decided to try some of the more classic tapas on offer. All of which exceeded our expectations!
- As there was simply no avoiding it, we ordered the patatas bravas (shown above) with homemade aioli sauce that we literally licked off our fingers!;)
- Of course we couldn’t resist the croquettes either, but since they hardly need much introduction and we don’t want to ruin the surprise, we will just say they were super creamy on the inside, crunchy on the outside and a true authentic delicacy!
- Saving the best for last, the star of the show was the meatballs; the best I’ve ever had! The sauce was exquisite and we even asked for an extra portion of bread to mop up every last drop!
Casa López and its budget-friendly prices
There is no happier way to end an evening than with a small bill, and the prices here will make you very happy!
- Most tapas cost between €2 and €3, which is more than reasonable!
- A beer will cost you less than €2 and a glass of wine between €2 and €3.
- They are open every day during the day, so there’s no excuse not to drop in. It’s always a good time to come in for tapas!
- If you want to get a table it’s best to get there before 1pm at lunchtime and before 8pm in the evening, as the place is always bursting!
Delicious tapas, local charm and unbeatable prices. Why resist?!