Ramblas chic and basic: an eclectic hotel with an unusual style
If you're looking for accommodation with a twist, the Chic and Basic might just be what you're after.
metro: Drassanes (L3)
every day of the year
from 90 euros
for its retro charm
Located in a fast-developing area, the chic and basic is a modern 3 star hotel that likes to play with its image. If you like hotels with an original style then you will like this place a lot.
The common areas of the chic and basic
The essence of this old industrial building has been conserved and the whole hotel has been built around the theme of first family holiday. You will travel through time from the moment you walk in the door.
Add to that a very warm and attentive staff and you won’t want to leave!
Once a week a local DJ comes to play in the lobby, creating a lively and friendly atmosphere.
In the library we leave behind the pop colour to discover a minimalist decor surrounding a white pool table.
“El 600 de la Pepi” is open to hotel guests as well as the general public and it offers simple and inexpensive food.
The breakfast buffet and brunch are copious and open to all. There is a large choice of muffins, homemade carrot, mango or apple cake, eggs, fresh fruit and salads.
Chic and basic rooms
Chic but not basic
The hotel has 97 rooms spread over 6 floors, each with a colour and theme relating to 60s Barcelona. The doors of the rooms are all decorated with the work of a known photographer and accompanied by an explanation.
- In each room there is a little city guide created by chic and basic with great, trendy recommendations that are not necessarily too touristic.
The rooms are spacious, bright, clean and tastefully arranged. Most have a small balcony and you will also find a desk and a very useful luggage holder, a television, a music player with a USB port and free wifi.
The different rooms
The basic rooms (with double bed or two single beds) give onto the inside of the building and measure about 15 m2.
The more chic rooms are a little bigger (18 m2) and give on to the outside of the building, some with a balcony. Do not hesitate to ask for one of these when you book. It is also possible to have a room for three people.
The suite is around 20m2 and has a large 15m2 terrace with a view of the Barcelona rooftops and the Montjuïc.
Information on the chic and basic
- Reception is open 24 hours and most of the staff speak multiple languages. If you arrive early or if you are leaving after having checked-out there is a free baggage service.
- The hotel offers a bike rental service.
- Check-in is from 2pm and check-out is before 12pm.
- Prices vary depending on the season, and also on holiday periods and weekends.
For less than 10 euros, breakfast is offered between 7:30am and 11:30am during the week and 7:30 am to 12:30pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- Brunch is available on Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. Expect to pay around 22 euros per person.
- The restaurant is open every day from 7:30am to midnight.
The other chic and basics
There are two other chic and basic hotels in the Born, which are very pretty but more classic and more expensive than the Ramblas one.
There is also a chic and basic hostel on the plaça Catalunya, and chic and basic apartments in the Born area.
Like this article?