Travellers on tight budgets, broke students and bargain hunters: this one’s for you! If you want to fill up without breaking the bank, head for one of the addresses below.
Places to eat for under 5 euros: Cervecería la Sureña
Cervecería la Sureña is a southern Spanish chain of restaurants which has several branches across Barcelona.
- The concept: platefuls of simple Spanish specialities at super-competitive prices!
- Their motto is that “A life without sharing is only half a life”. You’ll find a whole host of different dishes, from Galician squid and calamari to chicken wings, tortillas, sandwiches, tostadas and patatas bravas, designed to be shared by everyone at the table.
La Sureña runs a range of special offers which change on a daily basis – keep your eyes peeled to see what’s on when you visit!
There are five branches of Cerveceria la Sureña in Barcelona for meals on the go:
- Maremagnum shopping centre, local B, Gòtic
- La Maquinista shopping centre, Carrer Potosí, Buen Pastor, Sant Andreu
- Passeig Sant Joan, 77 Eixample
- Ronda de Sant Pau, 79, Sant Antoni
- Carrer Tallers, 70 Raval
Places to eat for under 5 euros: 100 montaditos
100 montaditos belongs to the same company as Cerveceria Sureña. The menu includes an incredible range of small savoury or sweet sanwiches for all tastes: ham, salmon, cheese, vegetables, and more. A plethora of ingredients can be combined in hundreds of different ways to make your perfect sandwich.
The best thing, though, is the prices! There are particularly good special offers on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays, including “everything at €1” events or buy one, get one free on the whole menu.
- See our article on 100 montaditos for more info.
Places to eat for under 5 euros: Focacceria Toscana
If you’re near Plaça Real when pizza cravings hit, head for Focacceria Toscana. The mouthwatering aromas of cheese and fresh bread coupled with the sight of the immense rectangular pizzas in the window draw in hordes of hungry pizzavores of all nationalities.
Fear not, though, there’s plenty for everyone! The simple, friendly venue offers a whole range of options: four cheese, tuna, chorizo and more. There’s the option to take away or to eat in on the mezzanine.
A piece of pizza will set you back around €3, but there are also menu options including drinks for less than €5. Focacceria Toscana also offers plates of pasta for €5. The drinks options include water, sodas, beer or sangria.
All of the desserts cost less than €3, and the selection includes fruit salad, tiramisu, tarts and crème catalan.
Where? Carrer de Ferran, 41 (Gothic quarter). Metro: Liceu
When? noon – midnight
Why? To fill up on pizza or focaccia.
Dive in – your wallet will thank you!