El Bitxo, a romantic setting with some very unusual tapas
Article updated 24 January, 2018.
El bitxo is a pretty little bistro just a few steps from the Palau de la Música, with unusual tapas, a romantic setting, and air filled with the scent of flowers.
metro: Urquinaona (L4 L1)
Verdaguer i Callas 9
from 1pm to 1am Tuesday to Saturday
from 1pm to 12am on Sundays
between 15 and 30 euros
for its romatic charm
Before or after your visit to the Palau de la Música or a walk through the Sant Pere, make a stop at a pretty little restaurant: El Bitxo. You may, like us, fall under its spell.
El bitxo: a little bistro in a poetic setting
Here there is a delicate hint of poetry, created by the effect of large bunches of lilies, warm tones and the reflections created by a pretty old mirror.
The bistro’s decor is simple but ingenious. Here, candles placed in wine glasses surrounded by coloured paper make little lamps, cleverly dimming the light to add to the intriguing atmosphere.
El Bitxo is the perfect place to come in a small group or on a date to snack on some very good olives or share 2 or 3 tapas together with a nice glass of wine.
- If you are in a group of more than 6 and you like space then it’s best to head somewhere else, because El Bitxo is small. Its few tables and chairs are not the most comfortable, although that is part of is charm.
Unusual tapas presented in anarchic fashion
Originality reigns here. Suggestions for tapas or dishes of the day are written in chalk on large blackboards or float in the air on little white pieces of paper. So you may have to twist your neck to make your choice, which is not always easy, but it is worth it.
There is a huge range of salads on offer. The ones we chose were copious and tasty. And they also look great, as you can see below!
The trio of fish marinaded in tea or coffee and accompanied by a wasabi sauce was a pleasant surprise. Unusual but really delicious!
- As this place is small, it’s best to book in advance on +34 932 681 708, especially nights when there are shows at the Palau de la música. That said, if you haven’t booked you can still try. It has always worked for us.
- The prices are not the lowest so expect to pay around 10 euros per course.
- This restaurant is perfect for a romantic date or a quiet lunchtime tête à tête.
- For the linguists, El Bitxo means red pepper in Catalan.
So, what are you waiting for? Spice up your evening!
Like this article?