Our favourite rock bars for crazy nights out in the Old Town
Article updated 28 August, 2019.
Fans of Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, Joy Division etc. - we have rock bars for you!
Do the first notes of Highway to Hell set off something deep inside you? Do you know Jimi Hendrix’s famous guitar solos by heart? Put on your leather jacket, practice your killer glare, and follow our guide for a big night out, rock star style. Our top three rock bars, tucked away in the side-streets of the old town, are the perfect venues for you!
The British one: Manchester
Manchester is a great place to begin your evening, getting you into the swing of things from the start. There’s a list of cocktails on a bloackboard by the door, along with a list of the bands being played that night.
How about a mojito in the company of the Smiths and Joy Divison – or a Caipirinha to the sounds of the Stone Roses? Whatever your preferences, this bar will take you back to the late 70s and early 80s in northern England, home to the greatest and most revolutionary independent rockers.
- Make sure you pay attention to the décor – each detail has been carefully thought out. There’s a portrait of Ian Curtis on one wall, another of David Bowie a little futher on… and the tables are covered with an impressive collection of metro tickets, student cards and more. Nothing has been left to chance!
- In addition to the Gòtico branch, there’s another Manchester in the Raval, another lively area of the city centre.
- There’s an intimate feel to the place, helped along by soft lighting, independent music, and fantastic mojitos.
Where? Manchester Gòtico: Carrer Milans 5. Manchester Raval: Carrer Valdonzella, 40.
When? Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, 6.30pm – 2.30am /Thursdays and Fridays, 6.30pm – 3am / Mondays, 6.30pm – midnight.
How much? From €2
Why? For great music, a relaxed atmosphere and low prices.
The skater-style one: Nevermind
The clue is in the name: Nevermind is a very, very laid-back bar. Hidden behind the thick, black velvet curtains at the door, you’ll find a temple to all things skater, punk and grunge.
From the old Converses hung from the ceiling to the skate videos played on loop via the ramp for practicing your tricks (only at Nevermind Raval), you won’t know where to look first!
- The happy hour merits its name, with beers, cocktails and long drinks (cubata in Spanish)
- Hungry? Free popcorn is laid on all night. Better still, there are delicious cheeseburgers on offer!
- Just like Manchester, Nevermind can be found in two locations, one in the Gòtic, the other in the Raval. The Raval bar puts on free concerts (often on Sundays), insane DJ sessions and film nights.
Where? Nevermind Gòtico: Carrer Escudellers Blancs, 3. Nevermind Raval: Carrer Tallers, 68.
When? Nevermind Gòtico: Every day, 7pm – 2:30am (3am weekends). Nevermind Raval: Every day, 5.30pm – 2:30am (3am weekends).
How much? From €2
Why? For the wacky décor and unbeatable prices.
The totally insane one: Bollocks
Yes, you read the name right! Bollocks aims to be, well, just that, in all but the literal sense of the word… a pretty good representation of this more-than-slightly insane bar, with its friendly but also somewhat crazy staff!
Run by the same people as Nevermind, Bollocks also offers an impressive happy hour and free popcorn, but the style is its own, with more of a hard rock and metal focus.
- Try an Ozzy Bourbon or a Jimi Hendricks whilst you enjoy a game of table football, watch the random videos shown on the walls, admire the motorbike hung from the ceiling, or just enjoy the unique atmosphere!
- The bar occasionally plays host to the Witches & Bitches vintage market. Well worth a trip!
Where? Calle Ample, 46
When? Every day, 7.30pm – 2.30 am, 3am weekends.
How much? From €2 happy hour (until 10pm)
Why? For the table football and “rockin'” cocktails!
You have been warned: you may leave part of your brain behind. But trust us, it’s worth it… rock on!
Like this article?