The Hipstel: a charming, central, low-cost youth hostel
With its trendy decor and friendly staff, The Hipstel will delight travelers who want to get to know the real Barcelona.
metro: Diagonal (L3 L5)
metro: Passeig de Gràcia (L2 L3 L4)
every day of the year
from 15 euros
for the friendly staff
The 150 year-old building that is home to The Hipstel is set in a great location. València street is bursting with trendy cafés and restaurants, and there is a metro station just a few feet from the hostel at the corner of Passeig de Gràcia, where you can also find 2 famous Gaudí buildings: La Pedrera and Casa Batlló.
Features of The Hipstel
The warm welcome from the staff will immediately make you feel at home.
The hostel’s decor is a perfectly balanced mixture of antique furniture and Ikea pieces, and makes you feel a little like you are visiting the large home of some architecture and design students.
The Hipstel’s dormitories are large, and can accommodate 6, 10 or 12 people. Each bed has a locker that you can lock with a key to store your belongings.
The decor is muted but the immense windows let in a lot of light and the high ceilings accentuate the impression of space.
The shared bathrooms located in the corridor are simple and clean. Remember to bring towels as none are provided.
It is also possible to book a private dormitory for 4, 5 or 6 people, or even a private room.
Rooms for one or two people are quite large and well decorated, and towels are provided.
The common areas
The lounge-dining room is quite spacious with wooden tables and chairs in all colours. The room is bright, due to the pretty veranda visible through the carefully conserved windows complete with original molding. A small long terrace, more suitable for enjoying a coffee than for eating meals, makes this a beautiful space.
The kitchen is a little small but the dining room and lounge make up for it.
The Hipstel’s little extras
- The Hipstel offers free tours of Barcelona in Spanish and English. All you have to do is register in advance at reception
- There is also a pub crawl service, providing a low-cost group tour of bars and clubs. Perfect for party animals!
- A great thing about the Hipstel is the very knowledgeable staff, who can tell you all about underground cafés and the latest trendy and unmissable places for electronic music in Barcelona. The young people who work here know it all, and will be happy to share their knowledge with you.
- All of the hotel has heating and air conditioning.
- Reception is open 24 hours
- Check-in is from 1pm and check-out is before 11am.
- Breakfast buffet is included and coffee is available all day.
- Depending on the type of dormitory, prices are between 15 and 25 euros per person, although it changes with the season.
- For a private room expect to pay a minimum of 35 euros per person during the season and 25 euros per person off season.
Like this article?