Hotel W: Bar, restaurant and hotel with magnificent sea views
Article updated 15 April, 2019.
Fancy sipping a cocktail with the whole of the Barcelona coastline at your feet? Scale the heights of Hotel W for a special experience on the 26th floor!
metro: Barceloneta (L4)
for a serious fiesta!
for the spectacular views
Built in 2009, Hotel W forms part of Barcelona’s coastal scenery. If you’ve ever walked along the seafront at Barceloneta, you’re sure to have noticed the unusual sail-shaped structure.
Hotel W Barcelona: an avant-garde masterpiece
The creation of the W attracted its faire share of controversy:
- It’s located less than 20 metres from the sea, in contravention of the previous minimum 100 metre limit. Several bars further from the coastline than the W had previously been forced to close for this reason.
- Its original architecture and imposing height also attracted criticism. In the original plans, the building was supposed to be 170 metres high; the final version is “only” 99 metres, but it remains impressive.
In spite of all the controversy, the building opened in October 2009, and is now an integral feature of the Barcelona skyline. This sail-shaped hotel, designed by Ricardo Bofill, is a symbol of the union between city and port, and has become one of the city’s architectural icons.
Eclipse at W: a sky-high lounge bar on the 26th floor
The W lounge bar, known as the Eclipse, is located on the 26th floor, and offers spectacular views of Barcelona. Colourful lighting and comfortable sofas combine with the last of the sun’s rays to create a unique and surprising atmosphere!
The bar, open to non-residents of the hotel, includes two areas with very different atmospheres, attracting an international crowd. Themed club nights with visiting DJs are held in both rooms: when we visited, it was electro and hip-hop.
- Monday and Wednesday: 6pm – 2am
- Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday: 6pm – 2.30am
- Friday and Saturday: 6pm – 3am
- Every day from 6pm to midnight the bar offers a range of sushi, spring rolls and grilled snacks.
- A mojito costs around €15
- Food items generally come in at under €20
Eclipse at the W: hints and tips
- You’ll need to dress up: smart shoes, “proper” trousers and a shirt for men, dresses and heels preferred for women.
- Minimum age: 21. Children aged between 12 and 17 are admitted from 6 to 9pm.
- You can get in for free by putting your name on the guest list here
- Don’t try to be clever and avoid the queue by taking the lifts on the far right. We’ve tried it, and they only take you to the 25th floor.
- From 3am, there aren’t many taxis, and they’re often booked ahead – so it can be difficult to get home from the W. We recommend downloading the Barcelona taxi app, Hailo
Hotel W Barcelona: Salt Beach Club, a restaurant on the beach
Hotel W: 5 stars, city panoramas and sea views
If you really want to push the boat out, book one of the 473 rooms at the W. The incredible views ovr the sea or the city are truly unique, and you’ll wake up to this dream-like panorama every morning.
How much? From €200
Like this article?