Jamboree: jazz, flamenco and nightclub
Article updated 10 May, 2017.
Jamboree brings together lots of genres under the same roof. What they all have in common is good fun and reasonable prices. So get on down!
Plaça Reial 17
Concerts: every day from 8pm to midnight
Nightclub: every day midnight to 5am (6am on weekends)
à partir de 5€
for a fiery fiesta
for a great start to the evening
Jamboree is a very special place in Barcelona, as it has a number of different guises and a vary varied offering:
- Jazz concerts
- Flamenco performances
- Hip-hop, dancehall and R’n’B nights
- 80s and 90s pop/rock nights
Varied enough for you? There’s certainly something for everyone!
Jamboree from 8pm to 10pm
Jamboree is a veritable Barcelona institution. Jazz artists have been performing here for 50 years with 2 concerts per evening, 365 days a year.
The club is open to all schools of jazz and all audiences. The line up is diverse and includes young Catalan performers as well as big American jazz stars.
In 2010, Jamboree received the Barcelona gold medal for artistic merit for its programming.
- Concerts take place Monday to Sunday from 8pm to 10pm
- Prices range from €10 to €30.
- Mondays are jam sessions (an impressive performance based on jazz standards) for €5
Upstairs, the decor is entirely different!
Flamenco is an Andalucian style of music and dance that a priori has nothing to do with Catalan culture. However, there are hundreds of thousands of immigrants who left Southern Spain for Catalonia, bringing with them some of their cultural baggage. Barcelona has therefore witnessed the birth of a sort of Catalan Rumba strongly influenced by Flamenco, but also the growth of Flamenco itself throughout the region.
In 1963, the tablao (the name given to Flamenco halls) Tarantos opened its doors and quickly became an important Flamenco venue in Barcelona. Intellectuals, music-lovers, tourists and celebrities attended the performances there.
- Shows take place Monday to Sunday
- There are 3 per evening: 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30
- They last 30 minutes
- They cost €15
Jamboree after midnight
Hip-hop, dancehall and R’n’B nightclub
After midnight the musicians are replaced by a DJ, there to light up the dancefloor. The best R’n’B, hip-hop and dance-hall music of the past 25 years gets the crowd on their feet.
It’s a long way from the atmosphere of the somewhat overdone clubs such as Bling bling: no one is here just to be seen, the idea is to have fun. Jamboree is very popular and it is often packed with people but it’s a joyful and good humoured atmosphere and very enjoyable.
Tarantos: 80s and 90s pop/rock
Upstairs flamenco is replaced by 80s and 90s pop/rock after midnight. You can wander freely between the two rooms if you want a change of music and atmosphere.
- Entrance to Jamboree costs €10 with no drink included (sometimes a little less, depending on the evening)
- In general, it is possible to get in for free if you get there early (between midnight and 1am)
- There is no particular dress code
- Jamboree closes at 5 am except for Fridays and Saturdays and the eve of holidays when it closes at 6am.
- The club is open 365 days a year
- The crowd is diverse and the average age is around 20 to 35 in Jamboree and up to 45 in Tarantos.
Like this article?