Opium Mar: house music and an international vibe on the seashore
Article updated 25 November, 2019.
Opium Mar is one of Barcelona's most famous clubs. Read on to discover our top tips for making the most of your night out!
metro: Ciutadella/Vila Olimpica (L4)
Passeig Marítim de la Barceloneta 34
for its international vibe
Opium is almost certainly the best-known of Barcelona’s many nightclubs, and is often the meeting point for party animals on holiday.
Opium: chic and cosmopolitan
Opium is in a great location by the sea, on the beach. As with all of the clubs in the Vila Olímpica, it attracts a lot of tourists.
Music-wise, Opium focuses on commercial house music. The club looks good, the clientele are well-dressed and prices are above average for Barcelona, but the atmosphere is far from stuffy, something which we particularly appreciate.
Budget for a night out at Opium
Prices at Opium vary enormously depending on what’s on and on the time of year.
- Entry usually costs €20, but this can double on nights when the club plays host to internationally-renowned DJs (such as David Guetta, Martin Solveig or Afrojack).
- Once inside, allow around €15 for a glass of wine, or just under €10 for a beer.
- If you want to book a table with VIP entry, prices start at around €220 and can go up to €350. The number to call to book (in English or Spanish) is +34 55 57 69 98.
Too expensive? Don’t panic, we have the answer!
Top tips for getting into Opium free of charge
It’s possible to get in for free before 1.30 or 2.30am, depending on the evening, by signing up in advance via this link.
Some nights, there are also promoters handing out flyers around Opium. These flyers will also get you in for free before 1.30am.
What time should you arrive?
Generally, the queue to get into Opium is very long at the weekends and in summer. If you don’t want to wait outside, make sure you arrive before 1am. It’s also easier to get in earlier in the night.
Beware of pickpockets!
As Opium is on the beach and attracts a lot of tourists, it’s also prime pickpocket territory.
- Be very careful of your things, especially when queueing and if you decide to go out onto the beach (there’s direct access from the club and it’s easy to get back in afterwards, so this is very tempting).
- Never let go of your bag, even if you’re just planning to leave it next to you on the bench.
For more information, see our top tips for avoiding pickpockets in Barcelona and our steps to take if your things are stolen. We’ve had things taken on the beach in front of Opium in the past, and by following these steps, we were able to retrieve most of our things.
- The dress code at Opium is sophisticated: “proper” shoes and a shirt for men, dresses and heels (preferably) for women.
- The official minimum age is 21 (23 for certain events), but the bouncers tend to turn a blind eye in this respect, especially if you’re female and well-dressed.
- Towards 5 – 6am, it gets very difficult to find a taxi around Opium. If you’d rather not wait, make sure you leave the club before 5am.
Like this article?