Two organic wine bars to discover in the Born, Barcelona
These two bars, just a stone's throw away from each other, serve nautural organic wine and delicious tapas in welcoming, hedonistic settings. Cheers!
When it comes to wine, do your tastebuds hanker for something fruity, woody, or with toasted brioche notes? Do you enjoy a fine Burgundy, intense Rioja, or powerful Ribera del Duero? Looking for somewhere to enjoy a glass of something natural and organic? Step this way!
A strangely “brutal” wine bar
Before we go any further, note that Bar Brutal is not the easiest place to find: entry is through Can Cisa, on the other side.
- Can Cisa is a wine shop where you can buy bottles to take away with you – something you’re very likely to want to do once you tasted what’s on offer in the bar!
The shop side of the establishment is fitted out in true winery style, with hundreds of bottles covering the walls, old barrels on display, and a handsome wooden table which seats 16.
- The main table is perfect for group tasting sessions. or for meetings with other wine lovers.
The décor along the passage to the main room is rather less traditional, featuring imposing, colourful sculptures of a swordfish, a cow ad a cockerel, amongst other things. A not-so-subtle reminder of the art of wine matching, perhaps!
The passage leads into a quirky-chic bodega style room, with written texts and graffiti adorning the walls. The large tables contrast nicely with the old stone backdrop.
- The generous meat and cheese boards (we recommened the 14-month aged comté) are served with grapes and grilled almonds which set the products off to perfection.
- The menu changes on a monthly basis: expect top-quality dishes, perfectly matched to your chosen wine.
Bar Brutal offers an extensive list of organic wines with no added sulfates, carefully selected by a passionate team of connoisseurs with the aim of finding the ideal bottle for every taste – the basis for an incredible “aperitivo atractivo”.
Where? Carrer de la Princesa, El Born
When? Tuesday – Saturday, 1pm – 1am
How much? Glasses from 4 euros, bottles from 15 euros
Why? For the ambiance
L’Anima del Vi : A timeless classic
Tucked away down one of the Born’s quietest side streets, L’Anima del Vi will take you back in time. It’s an authentic, charming location to enjoy a glass of wine!
The enchanting, warm and relaxing wine bar is run by Benoît and Núria, a Franco-Catalan couple. Expect to meet other wine enthusiasts and make new friends as you set the world to rights over a glass of the good stuff!
The décor, featuring an old piano, wooden chairs, marble-topped tables and vintage crockery, is like something out of a black-and-white film. Don’t miss the highly instructive wine map on the wall, either!
- All the wine is natural, thanks to a lot of hard work and devotion from Benoît! He works directly with growers in France, Spain and further afield who share his values.
- The bar serves artisan charcuterie and cheeses to accompany your chosen wine. The Basque potted goose is particularly good with a glass of Pouilly-Fuissé or one of the lighter reds, such as a Beaujolais.
The lighting in this hidden gem creates a special and harmonious feel. Take a moment to enjoy the timeless atmosphere…
Where? Carrer dels Vigatans, El Born, a stone’s throw from Bar Brutal
When? Tuesday – Saturday, 5pm – midnight
How much? From 5 euros a glass, bottles from 12 euros
Why? For hand-picked natural wines
So, what’s it to be – “brutal” bar, or timeless grotto? A difficult decision – you’ll just have to try them both!
Like this article?