Sala Montjuïc: open air cinema in the Barcelona hills
Article updated 4 June, 2018.
There is nothing like the ephemeral Sala Montjuïc cinema on a warm Summer night for (re)discovering cult films under the stars!
from 29th of June to 3rd of August 2018
mondays wednesdays and fridays
for its quirky side
If you love a quirky atmosphere, you will love Sala Montjuïc. This event is known mainly for its open air film projections, but it is also a chance to discover unobstructed views of Barcelona and to picnic against a backdrop of great live music!
The Sala Montjuïc’s location
The great lawn of the Montjuïc castle
As the name suggests the event takes place on the Montjuïc hill. The giant screen backs onto the old stones of the castle, which adds to the slightly magical atmosphere.
Film lovers spread out and make themselves comfortable on the vast lawn.
View of the city and the sunset
One great thing about the Sala Montjuïc, is that you don’t just get to enjoy a film, but also the setting: when you arrive you get to admire the beauty of Barcelona from the top of the Montjuïc.
The cherry on the cake is that you then have the chance to see the sunset on the Catalan capital: an unforgettable moment.
Picnic and concert
From 8:30pm, the evening starts with a concert. The line-up is varied and every projection is a chance to discover a new group.
Depending on the date, you can hear jazz, blues, swing, folk, Brazilian, Cuban or Flamenco music.
We strongly advise you to bring a picnic and eat it while waiting for the film to start, which is what most of the visitors do. And don’t forget to bring a blanket!
Little improvised bars also sell cans of Moritz, the signature beer of Barcelona.
Shorts and cult films at the Sala Montjuïc
At 10pm, the screen comes alive with a short film, before the main feature.
The range of films at the Sala Montjuïc is very eclectic: every year the open air cinema shows old films which are all played in their original language with Spanish subtitles.
A complete list of films, dates and details are available on the official Sala Montjuïc site.
Some useful information about the Sala Montjuïc
Price and schedule
- Sala Montjuïc runs this year from 29th of June to 3rd of August 2018, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- We advise you to arrive a little before 8.30pm. That will allow you to see the concert, and will also guarantee that you get a good place.
- Entry is 6.5 euros. You can buy a ticket there or get one on the Sala Montjuïc website (the ticket costs 6 euros online) to avoid the (long) queue.
- You will be seated on a large lawn with no seats. For extra comfort rent a deck chair for 3 euros.
How to get there
- By bus: Good news! The Ciutat Comtal bus will take you there without any need to buy a ticket. It leaves from Plaça Espanya on the Avinguda del Paral-lel side, but there are a lot of passengers both going there and getting back so leave a bit of time to queue.
- Funicular from Paral·lel, for the price of a normal transport ticket.
- Cable car from the Barceloneta: until 9pm the cable car leaves just below the Montjuïc castle, which is a delightful experience, but be warned that the tickets are around €10 return (a little less for children between 4 and 12).
- By car: parking is available near the castle.
Prepare for goosebumps, as the Sala Montjuïc and its surroundings make for an emotional night.
Like this article?