Sónar by Day: useful information for festival-goers
Planning a trip to Sónar by Day? Here are our tips to make the most of the festival!
A trip to a festival held over several days, like the Sónar, requires a certain amount of planning. We’ve been to the festival and stocked up on practical tips to help you make the most of your experience. So, without further ado…
Sónar by Day: the stages
Sónar by Day takes place in Barcelona itself, at Fira Montjuïc. It’s very easy to get to, as it’s served by both bus and metro lines from Plaça Espanya.
Sónar by Day has 4 stages:
- Sónar Village: this is the biggest stage. There are no seats, but the ground is covered with artificial grass and you can sit or lie down on the floor without any problem. There are several tented areas, so you can choose a place in the sun or a shadier spot, depending on your taste.
- Red Bull Dome Stage: this stage is indoors, and is fully covered. The pit is smaller, and you’ll need to stand.
- Sónar Hall and Sónar Complex: indoor stages which play host to audio-visual shows. A break from the ordinary!
The payment system at Sónar
All payments within the Sónar festival use the “Sónar Cashless” wristband system:
- Visit one of the Sónar Cashless points within the festival area
- Pay however much you expect to spend at Sónar
- You’ll be given a chip wristband credited with the selected amount
- Each time you buy something, simply swipe your wristband to pay. A screen will show how much credit you have left.
- Once you’ve finished spending, you can get any remaining money back at the Sónar Cashless terminals. There are special “refund” lanes, marked in red, for the purpose.
- Note that the Sónar Cashless terminals close 30 minutes before the end of the festival. If you still have money left on your wristband at that point, you’ll have to request a refund by internet.
Eating and drinking at Sónar by Day
There are several bars within the festival area, serving beer, spirits, soft drinks and water. There are also mobile servers selling beer, meaning that you don’t necessarily need to go to the bar. A great idea, we’re sure you’ll agree!
Hungry? There are food trucks set up behind one of the bars, surrounded by big tables. Main dishes are available for under €10.
Charging your phone at Sónar by day
No battery? No problem! Head to the “Charge your Phone” stand and request a charger. Around €15 will be debited from your Sónar Cashless wristband, and you’ll be given a cordless charger – so there’s no need to stay near a socket!
When you return the charger, your wristband will be credited with around €12, so the whole operation will have cost you around €3.
Sónar by day: the essentials
To make the most of the festival, don’t forget to take:
- Sun cream
- A hat
- A blanket or a towel – the artificial grass is a bit scratchy for bare skin!
Consider wearing your swimsuit under your clothes: there’s no water involved, but you can still top up your tan!
Sónar + D is a second festival which runs in parallel to Sónar and is also located at Fira Montjuïc. Focused on innovation and new technologies, it includes interactive workshops, conferences, masterclasses, seminars and presentations of innovative products by academics and companies.
Sónar + D is held within Sónar, so you can explore the festival and test out a variety of interactive experiences. However, you’ll need special accreditation to get into the conferences, seminars and masterclasses. For more information, see our article on Sónar+D.
- Finally, note that if you have a one-day pass for Sónar by Day (rather than a three-day pass), your wristband will be deactivated if you leave the site and you won’t be able to get back in.
Enjoy the festival!
Like this article?