The mediterranean climate makes Barcelona an ideal destination for camping trips – especially if you find a site near the sea! By taking the al fresco option, you get the chance to relax far from the hustle and bustle of the city, whilst staying within easy reach of the metropolis. How’s that for a top tip?
Not all campsites are created equal, so we’ve made a list of destinations around Barcelona which offer great infrastructure, great seaside or rural settings, and great transport links into Barcelona.
Camping near Barcelona: 3 Estrellas, Gava: the closest to the sea and to the centre of Barcelona
3 Estrellas: location
The Tres Estellas campsite is located 15km from Barcelona, and just 5km from Barcelona El Prat airport.
- If you’re out to top up your tan or fancy a daily dip in the sea, then this is the campsite for you – it’s one of the few sites in the region to be right by the sea, along the beach in the photo below.
3 Estrellas campsite: facilities and activities
The campsite offers a range of facilities:
- A pool complex with two basins, open from around 20th June – 30th August
- A supermarket ad souvenir shop
- A multi-purpose sports pitch
- Paddleboard and mini-golf facilities (payable)
- A restaurant/snack bar for those who don’t want to cook
- A barbecue area for fans of flames
- A watersports club on the beach behind the campsites, offering lessons and the possibility to rent windsurfing equipment, surfboards, paddleboards etc. (for a price – obviosuly!)
- Note that certain facilities (pool, souvenir shop, ice-cream stand, restaurant etc.) generally open around Sant Joan, i.e. 24th June.
3 Estrellas campsite: accommodation
- The campsite has coco-homes (half-way between a mobile home and a tent – see above) sleeping either 2 or 4. Shaded by pine trees, they give direct access to the beach.
- The onsite chalets feature private terraces, one or two rooms, a living area, bathroom and kitchenette with cooker, fridge and microwave. They sleep from 2 to 6, depending on the model.
- The cheapest of the options on offer, cabin-rooms are comfortable spaces sleeping 2 or 4, but without private bathrooms.
- If you’re more “glamping” than “camping”, opt for one of the eco-mobile homes in the pine zone.
- There’s also the option to rent a fully-fitted caravan.
- Looking for something a bit different? The eco-domes (below) are an innovative, green solution!
Bus links: 3 Estrellas – Barcelona city centre
The Mohn no. 95 bus takes you into central Barcelona in 35 minutes (Ronda Universidad- Plaça Catalunya). The bus stop is 100 metres from the campsite entrance on Autovia Castelldefels- Km 186.
You can either buy a one-way ticket from the driver, or use any of the zone 1 multi-trip transport cards. We recommend the second option as it works out considerably cheaper if you use it several times during your visit to Barcelona.
3 Estrellas: useful information
- The campsite is open from mid-March to mid-October.
- The best feature of the campsite is its seaside location: the beach is literally RIGHT THERE! No road to cross, no inconvenient railway lines blocking your access – there’s nothing to stop you running straight from your tent into the sea every morning, if that’s your thing.
- 3 Estrellas is located between a major road and the beach. The pitches are set well back from the road, so traffic noise isn’t a problem. However, it’s only 5 km from the airport, so be aware that there will be planes going by several times a day.
Camping in Sitges: a peaceful site 700m from the beach
Sitges campsite: location
As you might expect, the Sitges campsite is the closest site to… Sitges (a pretty seaside resort). It’s open from mid-March to mid-October.
Located 2km south of central Sitges and only 700m (a 15-minute walk) from one of its many beaches, this campsite is a haven of tranquility in a woodland setting.
Sitges campsite: facilities and activities
The campsite offers a range of facilities:
- A basic but attractive pool, open from late May to mid-September
- A mini-market
- Table tennis and boules facilities
- Children’s play equipment
- A restaurant/snack bar
Sitges campsite: accommodation
- The campsite has comfortable, fully-equipped chalets sleeping between 1 and 4.
- One of the chalets is wheelchair-accessible.
Bus links: campsite – Barcelona city centre
The bus for central Barcelona circulates every thirty minutes and stops just in front of the campsite. The journey takes just under an hour and costs around 5 euros. The last bus back to the campsite leaves Barcelona late in the evening, so you can make the most of your day out!
Sitges campsite: useful information
The Sitges campsite is open from mid-March to mid-October.
- When we visited, we were impressed by the peaceful feeling of the campsite. If you’re looking for somewhere to relax but with easy access to a town, this calm, shady site is ideal – central Sitges is only a 30-minute walk away.
- If you’re looking for lots of on-site activities and a fun holiday vibe, then you may want to look elsewhere.
Golfers take note: the 18-hole Terramar course is less than 2km from the campsite (a 20-30 minute walk). You can thank us later!
The pretty seaside resort of Sitges is a pleasant 30-minute walk away.
The nearest beach (see photo) is around half a mile from the campsite – an easy 20-minute walk.
Campsites near Barcelona: Vilanova Park, a 4-star, category 1 holiday park
Vilanova Park campsite: location
The Vilanova Park campsite is located at the start of the Costa Dorada, around 50km from central Barcelona, 12km from Sitges and 4km from the beaches at Vilanova i la Geltrú.
It’s also under 60km from PortAventura (around 40 minutes by car), if that’s on your wish list!
Vilanova Park campsite: facilities and activities
This fabulous category 1 campsite is set in an oasis of greenery. You could easily spend a whole week just relaxing and making the most of the on-site facilities – there’s plenty to do! The facilities on offer are impressive and well thought-out.
Facilities and activities included in the price of your stay
- 2 fantastic open-air pools
- A supermarket and bakery
- Several sports pitches
- Table tennis facilities under the trees
- A waterslide
- A launderette
- A mini-club (childcare)
- A restaurant, housed in a lovely masía (a traditional Catalan house)
Facilities and activities available at a cost
- Tennis courts
- A covered pool (remember your hat, it’s compulsorary!) and health club
- A gym
- Jumping pillows: a cross between a trampoline and a bouncy castle, and a truly fantastic way to tire out excitable children!
Vilanova Park: accommodation
There are a range of options on offer at Vilanova Park:
- Comfortable, fully-equipped bungalows sleeping 2 – 6
- 2 or 3-bed mobile homes sleeping up to six
- Tents, from the simple to the luxurious (Baobab, Lodge, Glamping, Comanche)
Bus links: Vilanova Park – Barcelona city centre
The bus into central Barcelona takes around an hour and a quarter, and costs just over 5 euros. Books of ten tickets are on sale at the campsite and work out cheaper, if you’re going to use most of them.
The bus stop is on the roundabout just in front of Vilanova Park, with services leaving regularly. The campsite will have a timetable.
There are also shuttle services for the airport and for the seaside resort of Vilanova i la Geltrú.
Vilanova Park: useful information
- We (heart) this campsite, with its idyllic and peaceful woodland setting.
- The infrastructure and activities on offer at Vilanova Park are great for relaxing – once you’re there, you won’t need to leave (unless you want to, obviously – if you’re on this website, chances are you’re planning on visiting Barcelona at least once!). The sandy beaches of Vilanova la Geltrú are also within easy reach (around 4km, shuttle service available).
- The chalets are wheelchair-accessible and there’s even a pool lift, so disabled visitors can profit from the facilities on offer.
- The campsite is absolutely perfect for families.
- For the ultimate in peace and quiet, ask for a spot away from the sports pitches
- Vilanova Park is open all year round.
So what’s it to be – seaside or woodland, chalet or tent, glamping or camping? In any case, there’s something for you within easy reach of Barcelona!