Cocktails on a budget in Barcelona: our top 5 destinations
Article updated 14 November, 2018.
Whether you're looking for the perfect end to a day out in Barcelona or to start the evening in style, what could be better than budget-friendly cocktails?
Barcelona is home to almost 7,500 bars and restaurants – that’s a lot to choose from! Need a hand? Never fear, we’re here to help. If you’re looking for great cocktails on a budget, then this article is for you!
Bar Nevermind: cocktail happy hour
For an authentic grunge, “underground” experience, head for Nevermind! With a rock playlist, a skate park and a happy hour, what more could you want? It’s open every day until 2.30 am.
- A great option for tight budgets: from 7pm to 10pm, all drinks (except shots) are half price!
- Result: beers from €1.50, mojitos €3.50, and a “mojilitro” for the thirstiest customers: 1L of mojito for €9!
- There are two branches of Nevermind: one near Plaça Catalunya on carrer Tallers (68), one near the Plaça Real (Carrer d’Escudellers Blancs, 3).
- Bonus: the bar offers a free portion of popcorn with each round!
For more details on Nevermind, see this article for a list of our favourite rock bars.
Rosa Negra: affordable cocktails with a great atmosphere
A south-American style bar with an offbeat, colourful vibe, Rosa Negra offers tasty mojitos, margaritas, sangria and more for less than €4. Unbeatable!
- Why? For the wild music, the colourful décor and the delicious Mexican food.
- How much? Fixed menu of the day for around €10, including starter, main and dessert or coffee. Frozen Margaritas and Mojitos: €3.90.
- Where? Via Layetana, 46. Open every day until midnight, 1am at the weekend.
- Bonus: it’s in a great location, a couple of minutes from Plaça d’Urquinaona, where the Gothic Quarter meets the Born.
Belladona: a hidden gem for Mojitos on a budget
In the heart of the “gay-xample”, a ten-minute walk from Plaça Catalunya, you’ll find the Belladona bar, a pretty little venue with a lovely terrace. The music is loud and the cocktails are cheap – a local, central, gay-friendly destination!
- Why? For the extensive drinks menu, with something for everyone! Try the tapas, too – generous portions of tortilla, quesadillas or breaded chicken strips.
- How much? Mojitos for €3.50 or €8 for a litre, including the option to add a flavoured syrup.
- Where? Carrer de la Diputació, 222 (Eixample).
- Bonus: for a small supplement, you can “improve” your cocktail with a better-quality alcohol! (add €1 per Mojito).
Carite: a lounge bar with original cocktails
Our latest discovery (and new favourite), the Carite is a total gem, offering original and sophisticated food, a pleasant vibe… and incredible cocktails! Don’t miss the pretty, seasonal mojito – watermelon, on our last visit – which goes down veeeeery nicely. If you’re after something stronger, try the caipirinha, available in both traditional and kiwi versions!
- Why? Kick back and relax in the lounge bar, and don’t give your budget a second thought – the prices here are so low that you won’t be able to do much damage! Try some of the house-recipe patatas bravas with your cocktail (€3).
- How much? How low can you go? Mojitos at Carite cost a mere €3, and their appletini (apple martini – see what they did there?) is even cheaper at €2.50!
- Where? Carrer de Girona, 95, a stone’s throw from the Girona metro station.
Alsur Café: Cocktails and pancakes… well, why not?
Alsur Café is a small chain of four hip cafés specialising in generous, all-day brunches. An ideal place to hide away for the morning, for lunch, or for an early-evening treat! Their slogan is “What you want, when you want” – we’ll drink to that!
- Why? For pancakes and waffles at any time of day, or for brunch, from €7 – €15. Why not?
- How much? There’s a varied selection of drinks on offer for €3.65, including Mojitos, Tom Collins and Mimosas.
- You decide where! Four locations, with four different vibes:
1- Sant Pere Mes Alt, 4 (Palau): perfect in winter, with soft and comfortable sofas!
2- Plaça de Sant Cugat,1 (Born): take a seat on the delightful terrace to soak up the sun.
3- Roger de Lluria, 23 (Lluria): a central location, a few minutes from Urquinaona, great for a treat after a long day of sightseeing.
4- Ribera, 18 (Alsur Cafe Backdoorbar): the new one, opened in October 2017.
- When? All day, every day – the Palau and Born branches are open until 3am on Fridays and Saturdays (2.30am for the Lluria branch).
- Bonus: Look out for the original cocktails, such as the apple pie Mojito, the cucumber Spritz and the Oreo vodka milkshake!
Like this article?