Barcelona Top Travel Tips

Driving in Spain: driving licence validity and driving laws


Article updated 23 March, 2020. 0 comments

Planning to drive to Barcelona, or even move here? Here are a few things to consider before you get behind the wheel.

driving in Spain passeig de Gràcia

A lot of visitors come to Barcelona by car. The driving rules are similar to many EU countries but there a few things to bear in mind.

Principles of Spanish driving legislation

Car insurance

In Spain, as in the rest of the EU you can only drive with a valid licence and car insurance. With regard to insurance:

  • If you are coming from an EU country, Switzerland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway or Croatia you don’t need to take any special steps. A driving licence from your country is sufficient.
  • If you come from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Israel, Iran, Morocco, Moldova, the Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Russia or Ukraine, you need to obtain a green card before your departure for civil liability insurance.
  • Finally, if you come from another country you will need to register for border insurance.

Which goes to show it is sometimes very easy to rent a car on the spot!


The police don’t mess around when it comes to fines, and even less so when it comes to foreign cars. If you park badly or park without paying you are sure to get a ticket. And this goes for other infractions too. In Barcelona inspectors are a common sight and the fines are particularly large.

If you do get stuck with a fine, pay it immediately. You receive a 50% discount on the fine if you pay it within 20 days. To do this, go to the traffic service (dirección general del tráfico, DGT) at 184, Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes.

[geo_mashup_map_custom map_content=”contextual” mapid=”326″ height=”200″]

You can also pay your fine over the phone by calling 060 from Spain (in Spanish) or on the DGT site (in Spanish), in the post office or at branches of the Santander bank.


If you haven’t paid your fine and you live in France, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy or Germany you can get points on your licence. These countries have signed a very effective cross-border police and customs agreement.

Bear in mind that if you pay your fine on the spot you will receive no penalty points.


If your vehicle is impounded (it happens more often than you would think…), follow the recommendations in our article Impounded in Barcelona: where and how to recover your car?

Other rules

Children under 1.5 metres must sit in the back in a car seat and children under 12 are not permitted to sit in the front seat.

It is strictly forbidden to drive while speaking on the phone, except with a hands free kit. The level of alcohol in the blood should not exceed 0.5g/litre. In the case of an accident, it is imperative that you signal your car with two triangles and wear a reflective vest. You should also have spare lights in your vehicle.


Driving licence

If you are visiting Barcelona as a tourist

If you are driving in Barcelona but you don’t live there, there are two scenarios:

  • You are coming from an EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: Your driving licence from your own country is sufficient, and there are no further steps to take.
  • You are coming from another country: before leaving, get an international driving licence from the authorities in your country. There is no test to pass, it is simply an administrative process.

If you live in Barcelona

In this case you should register to change your driving licence (even if you are from an EU country). You have two years from the time you arrive, to carry out this process.

To do this you will need to make an appointment at the DGT, choosing “área conductores” after selecting Barcelona here. On the appointed day, head along equipped with the following documents:

  • Valid ID stating your current place of residence (passport, NIE or identity card if you come from an EU country).
  • Your driving licence
  • A completed form (available there)
  • An original photo measuring 32 x 26 mm.
  • A written declaration stating that you have not been forbidden from driving.
  • A written declaration stating that you are not in possession of another driving licence.

The process will cost you around €30.

Whatever your situation, remember you must change your registration plates if you bring your car to Spain. Only Spanish plates are permitted for cars belonging to people residing in Spain.

Happy driving!


Like this article?

Click here!

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars

5.00/5 - 1 vote(s)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Our comment form stores your name and email so we can respond to your comment and send you notifications when your comment is getting replies (if you have opted in to receive those notifications). Your data will not be shared or stored with third parties and will not be added to any lists. For more information you can read our Privacy Policy.

  • Controller: Anakena Internet Services, S.L.
  • Purpose: Manage comments and send automatic notifications by email in case of response.
  • Legal standing: Informed consent of the person concerned.
  • Recipient: No data will be transferred to third parties, unless expressly allowed .
  • Rights: Right to access, correct, delete and forget your data. Right to data limitation and portability.

Our contact form sends your name, email and other provided data to our support team so we can respond to your inquiries or put you in touch with our specialised partners that provide the service you are looking for. Your data will not be shared or stored with any 3rd party (excepting those specialised partners) and will not be added to any lists. For more information you can read our Privacy Policy.

  • Purpose: Support and contact with specialised partners.

About the author


Pauline loves books, food and new discoveries. For her articles, she loves finding original and authentic places which are a treat for both the eyes and the tastebuds. Her favourite thing to do in Barcelona? Getting lost in the Old Town and soaking up its unique atmosphere... whilst enjoying the appetising smells emerging from restaurant kitchens! Is there anything better than that?