Mostassa: ethical eats in the Eixample quarter
Article updated 16 November, 2018.
Mostassa, in the heart of the Eixample, offers healthy and hearty local food options for budget-friendly brunches and tasty snacks - vegetarians welcome!
carrer de Mallorca, 194
metro: Hospital Clinic (L5)
Saturday: 10am - midnight
brunch approx. €15, lunch approx. €10
For vegetarian and gluten-free options, and for delicious 0km brunch!
Mostassa is a pretty little restaurant, tucked away in a former furniture shop in the heart of the Eixample – and it’s got a lot going for it!
- A light, bright space
- A vintage, minimalist feel
- A small, sunny terrace
- Carefully-selected local produce
- A large selection of artisan beer
- A range of brunch, lunch and sharing platter options
- Fabulous home-made desserts
- Exclusively seasonal menus
- And, last but not least, absolutely delicious food!
The perfect combination of elements – discover new and original flavour combinations whilst boosting your green credentials.
Mostassa: simply delicious brunch
Mostassa is a great place to (re)discover the joys of eating local, with a varied range of breakfast and brunch options on offer every day of the week.
For around €15, choose one of the tasty main dishes along with a hot drink or a glass of fresh juice.
The menu features such delights as Eggs Benedict, brought in directly from Girona, with a choice of salmon, spinach or bacon; pancakes; or one of a range of American-style sandwiches and lighter salads.
Better still, Mostassa is open every day from 9am – 4.30pm (10am at the weekends) – so there are plenty of chances to visit!
Our favourites include:
- the Pastrami sandwich, packed with enough meat to put its New York cousins to shame (€8.50)
- the eggs (scrambled, fried or omelette) with rustic potatoes and organic bread, served with a choice of bacon or salmon (€8-€11)
- the banana or berry pancakes (€7.50) and the selection of home-made cakes
Mostassa: something new every week!
The fixed lunch menu at Mostassa changes every week, but it’s always great value for money! For around €10, you’ll get a starter, main course and dessert (or coffee) – a fabulous treat that won’t break the bank. If you prefer to order off the menu, note that all of the brunch options are available until 4.30pm: perfect for an afternoon snack.
One of the best things about Mostassa is the way it has something for everyone. Fan of the classics? Go for a burger, or the patatas bravas. More adventurous? There’s plenty on offer for you, too…
- Mexican dishes: nachos, quesadillas and huevos rancheros
- Asian flavours, including fish dishes and curry
- Fresh, new flavour combinations, including the watermelon and feta salad
- Top tip: “Mostassa” means “mustard”. Feel free to request one of the café’s artisan mustards to accompany your meal – they’re a house speciality, and they’re amazing!
Mostassa, paradise for vegetarians
- The menus at Mostassa often feature kale, quinoa salads and avocado dishes: vegetarian rocket fuel!
- Try the delicious and refreshing fresh fruit juices.
- Many options are gluten-free, so this is a great destination if you’re grain intolerant.
- Bonus: artisan beer. Need we say more?
In short, head to Mostassa to enjoy local products in a pretty, central location, all without breaking the bank. Here’s a restaurant that definitely cuts the mustard!
Like this article?