Brunch is a serious matter, so we’ve done some investigating and come up with our top five destinations in Barcelona. Here they are, in reverse order – we’ve saved the best til last!
N°5: Brunch at Fourmi
In at no. 5, we have brunch at Fourmi. This café/restaurant in the Gràcia quarter serves a tasty and filling brunch menu, and offers the best value for money of anywhere on our list!
Rather than going for the (very) traditional eggs Benedict, we recommend the Morning Muffin with bacon and fried or scrambled eggs, served with crispy fried potatoes and a mixed salad with tomatoes, onions, avocado and peppers. We’re also fans of the Mexicano, a generous dish of nachos with cheddar, chicken and black beans.
- Great for generous servings in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Fourmi is also off most tourists’ radar!
For excellent value for money
How much? €15-30
When? Weekends, from 10am
Where? Carrer Milà i Fontanals, 58, (Gràcia)
N°4: Brunch at Picnic
For this one, on to a completely different area of the city… and into a completely different price bracket! Picnic, in the Born, is a well-known brunch spot, offeirng reasonable – but not huge – portions.
Booking is highly recommended at the weekends, otherwise you’ll have to put your names down on the waiting list and hang around until there’s space. In that case, take the chance to try the fantastic Croquetas de quinoa y patatas!
- The setting – a terrace in the heart of the Born – couldn’t be better.
- The eggs Benedict are outstanding.
- Picnic has been a victim of its success – so remember to book ahead.
- The prices are a little on the high side, so don’t get too carried away!
Why? For the terrace, in the heart of the Born
How much? €20-35
When? Monday-Friday: from 10:30am to 4pm / Weekends: from 10:30am to 5pm
Where? Carrer del Comerç, 1 (Born)
N°3: Brunch at Can Dende
This recent addition to the brunch scene is one of Poblenou’s hippest venues. Can Dende fits right in to this former industrial quarter, with tasteful interiors decked out in metal, wood and stone to create a simple and unpretentious atmosphere.
We immediately felt at home at Can Dende, with its friendly and welcoming staff. You can even watch your food being cooked while you wait! The prices are reasonable, and the menu, whilst limited, includes some unexpected treats.
- The “family” atmosphere is extremely enjoyable.
- We recommend the fabulous tomates verdes fritos.
- The prices are very reasonable.
For the warm, friendly atmosphere.
How much? €15-30
When? Weekends from 10am
Where? Carrer Ciutat de Granada, 44 (Poblenou)
N°2: Brunch at Milk Bar
Take a trip back in time for brunch! The Milk Bar, with its 50s – 60s playlist and floral wallpaper, takes a British approach to brunch. Take your seat on one of the comfortable benches and admire the vintage photos which line the walls, each with its own quirky frame!
The menu includes classics such as pancakes, beans and eggs Benedict, alongside giant salads and burgers. A big favourite with the English-speaking press and tour guide authors!
- The menu is varied and prices are reasonable.
- The fresh smoothies are particularly good!
For English-style brunch
How much? €15-30.
When? Every day from 9am
Where? Carrer d’En Gignas, 21 (Gòtic)
And finally, n°1: Brunch at Travel & Cake
Like its big brother Brunch and Cake, covered in this article, this venue upholds the Cup & Cake Barcelona chain’s excellent reputation. Found at several locations across Barcelona, Travel and Cake’s brunch offer is a huge success!
- The natural wood and pastel décor are gentle on bleary morning eyes.
- The prices offer great value for money, portions are generous, and the menu is original.
- Unlike the other venues on our list, Travel and Cake is open for brunch 7 days a week!
For a delicious brunch, any day, any time
How much? €15-30
When? Every day, from 9am
Where? Carrer Rosselló, 189 (Eixample)