Mariatchi: Manu Chao’s bar in Barcelona
Article updated 17 October, 2017.
Come to the Mariatchi, a bar in Barcelona that is less well known, but just as chilled, as its owner.
Carrer dels Còdols 14
Friday and Saturday 7pm to 3am
Monday to Thursday 7pm to 2:30am
Sunday 7pm to 2:30am
à partir de 2 euros
for its great atmosphere
for its low prices
A well-kept secret in Barcelona is that the famous French singer songwriter Manu Chao owns a bar here. Although nothing inside the bar suggests it, the Mariatchi does reflect the spirit of its owner: natural and unpretentious. It’s easy to imagine him sitting at the bar sipping on his caña!
- Located in the heart of the old town, this is a great place to visit if you want to have a great time without breaking the bank.
The Mariatchi: a bar with a relaxed party atmosphere
- Mariatchi, is also the name of a Mexican style of music characterised by string instruments, trumpets and singing. It’s easy to see why this name was chosen as soon as you push the door of the bar, as a large colourful guitar decorates the wall, joyful rhythmic music resonates, and a banner of “Che Sudaka” is proudly displayed in honor of the famous music group composed of musicians from Argentina and Colombia. So welcome (almost) to South America!
- You may have gathered that Mariatchi isn’t a trendy venue for after-work drinks in a suit. Prepare to come here casual and with a smile on your face!
Mariatchi: a cheap bar in the middle of the Gothic quarter
What better than low prices to keep you in a good mood? One thing is clear, there is nothing to fear from the bill! To give you an idea, beer and wine are 2.50 euros, sangria is 3.50 and cocktails (50ml!) are 7 euros. Soft drinks are 2 euros.
- The prices are even better when you consider that the Mariatchi is located in the Gothic district which is very touristic and therefore more expensive. It’s not always easy to find affordable prices. Thanks Manu Chao!
- The Mariatchi doesn’t serve food apart from olives (1.50 euros) or handmade crisps (2.50 euros) to munch on, but they might not tide you over for too long!
- If you prefer not to get there with an empty stomach, you can enjoy the tapas at Alcoba Azul, Bormuth or Xampanyeria all located around the Mariatchi.
- If you’re lucky you might get to see one of the “spontaneous” concerts that sometimes strike up at the Mariatchi
- Rumour has it that Manu Chao shows up from time to time, particularly in Winter when there are fewer tourists. But this is unconfirmed!
Next stop: Bar Mariatchi!
Like this article?