Mas i Mas Music Festival: jazz, classical, flamenco, techno and more!
Article updated 14 November, 2018.
Music fans won't want to miss the Mas i Mas festival, which features over 100 concerts by some of the world's best jazz, flamenco, classical, funk, soul and techno artists.
venues across the city
31st July - 1st September 2018
for the quality of the programme
Music fans rejoice! Barcelona is home to a seriously impressive live music scene, particularly during the summer. The Mas i Mas festival is a great example of the cultural riches on offer, featuring jazz, classical music, flamenco, funk, soul and even techno artists. This year’s edition includes over 100 concerts, running from late July to early September.
Mas i Mas Festival: a musical melting-pot
To understand the complex nature of the Mas i Mas Festival, you need to go back to the beginning. Everything started in 1986 with the opening of the Mas i Mas Bar, a musical venue intended to highlight music of black origin, including funk, soul, blues and R&B.
In 1991, the same company launched La Boîte, an ambitious concept intended to combine live concerts with club sessions, focusing on jazz, flamenco, rock, salsa and particularly blues music.
In 1998, the Mas i Mas group branched out onto the techno-house scene, opening the Moog nightclub. Located in the heart of the Raval, this cutting-edge venue became known for promoting creativity and experimental DJ sets.
This wealth of musical styles and a rich experience of the Barelona music scene all came together with the creation of a unique, high-quality annual event: the Mas i Mas festival.
Mas i Mas Festival: the programme
The Mas i Mas Festival programme for 2017 is, as ever, both eclectic and cutting-edge. Concerts are held in a range of different venues, according to genre.
- Palau de la Música: this iconic Catalan Art Nouveau concert hall mostly plays host to piano and classical music concerts.
- Jamboree is the venue for jazz concerts and jam sessions.
- Tarantos will present 3 30-minute flamenco sessions each night throughout the duration of the festival. Unmissable!
- Moog: The Mas i Mas group’s 100% techno nightclub, just off Las Ramblas!
In addition to the main venues, other events will be held in a variety of different locations. See the official festival website for the full programme. The site lets you search by genre, making things easier if you have a precise idea of what you’re looking for.
- Mas i Mas 2018 runs from 21st July – 1st September.
- There are no all-in-one passes: you’ll need a separate ticket for each concert you want to see.
- Prices range from €8 – €45 depending on the concert.
- Tickets can be purchased online (click on “comprar entradas”) or in person.
Like this article?