In this article, we help you to choose the right Ibis, Ibis Styles or Ibis Budget hotel for your stay in Barcelona - as you'll see, there are plenty of options on offer!
Ibis is a French hotel chain, known for quality and reliability – and is immensely popular with travellers who want to know exactly what to expect! Like Novotel and Sofitel, Ibis is part of the Accor group, and the chain runs a loyalty card scheme giving access to points, reductions and advantages all over the world.
Around ten Ibis hotels have opened in and around Barcelona over the last few years, but if you don’t know the city, it can be hard to decide which option is best for you.
Since we live in Barcelona and we’ve visited a fair few of the Ibis branches in and around the city centre, beaches and airport, we thought we’d give you some pointers!
- 1 Ibis Budget, Ibis and Ibis Styles hotels: what’s the difference?
- 2 Ibis Hotels
- 3 Ibis Hotel in central Barcelona: private parking, 5 miutes from Sagrada Familia
- 4 Ibis Styles Hotel in central Barcelona: 5 mn from Gaudí’s La Pedrera
- 5 Ibis Styles Bogatell: a hotel with a pool, 10 minutes from the beach
- 6 Ibis Glòries hotel: private parking, a 20-minute walk from the beach
- 7 Ibis Meridiana hotel: on the outskirts of the city
- 8 Ibis Castelldefels hotel: 20 km from Barcelona and a 30-minute walk from the beach
- 9 Ibis and Ibis Budget Barcelona Viladecans hotels: budget options close to the airport
Ibis Budget, Ibis and Ibis Styles hotels: what’s the difference?
The very first Ibis hotel opened in Bordeaux, France, in 1974. Since then, thousands of other branches – all with the inimitable red logo – have popped up around the world.
You know what you’re getting at an Ibis hotel, even in a different country. The level of comfort will be the same, the rooms will be similar, the services will be the same, and some of the staff will speak English. By choosing to stay at an Ibis, you effectively eliminate the risk of unpleasant surprises!
All of the Ibis hotels – classic, Budget or Styles – are also reputed for their excellent breakfast buffet, featuring delicious pastries and fresh, seasonal products.
Ibis Styles hotels
Ibis Styles hotels – the ones with the green logo – feature unique and generally colourful design. Unlike the standardised Ibis and Ibis Budget hotels, the rooms at the Styles hotels are decorated differently.
Prices at the Ibis Styles include breakfast.
Ibis Budget hotels
Ibis Budget – the “blue” version of the hotel – is the new name of Etap Hotels. The prices are lower than at Ibis and Ibis Styles establishments, but the level of design and comfort is also lower.
Choosing an Ibis hotel in Barcelona
- The location, in or around the city, is a key point to take into account.
- Room price is also an important factor, but prices can vary enormously depending on the season and hotel type. Rooms at the Ibis Budget start at around 40 euros; prices at a classic Ibis start at around 49 euros, and a night at an Ibis Styles will set you back at least 79 euros. These are rough guidelines, though, so make sure you compare prices for your actual travel dates.
Ibis Hotel in central Barcelona: private parking, 5 miutes from Sagrada Familia
Location of the Ibis Sagrada Familia hotel
- As you might expect, the Ibis Sagrada Familia is located just a stone’s throw from Gaudí’s spectacular masterpiece – two streets away, to be precise. However, none of the rooms offer views of the basilica.
- Sagrada Familia isn’t the most central area of Barcelona, but there are excellent transport links, with metro, bus and tour bus stops near the hotel.
Ibis Sagrada Familia hotel: key details
- The public areas of the hotel are rather small compared to those at the other Ibis hotels in Barcelona.
- The rooms are quiet and all identical. However, the rooms on the lower floors and those overlooking the internal courtyards are fairly dark – a common issue in Barcelona.
- The hotel has a private carpark (costing around €20/day) – something of a rarity in central Barcelona. This makes Ibis Sagrada Familia a particularly good option if you’re coming to Barcelona by car.
- However, we suggest you compare parking prices around Sagrada Familia on Parclick, as you may find a cheaper option.
Our opinion of the Ibis Sagrada Familia
This hotel is a good option if you’re only in Barcelona for a short stay and if the main purpose of your trip is to visit Sagrada Familia. However, it’s not the most charming of the Ibis Hotels in Barcelona, and as such, it wouldn’t be our first choice for a longer stay.
Ibis Styles Hotel in central Barcelona: 5 mn from Gaudí’s La Pedrera
Location of the Ibis Styles Centre
Fans of Art Nouveau will be particularly pleased with the location of this Ibis. Ideally situated in the Eixample, it’s within easy walking distance of Sagrada Familia and of some of Gaudí’s other masterpieces, including Casa Batlló and La Pedrera.
- The hotel has excellent transport links: the Verdaguer and Diagonal metro stations are less than 5 minutes away, and there are plenty of bus stops nearby.
- The hotel doesn’t have its own restaurant or café, but there are plenty of places to eat, bars and more in the neighbourhood.
- The Ibis Styles Centre is also close to the charming, bohemian Gràcia quarter of Barcelona!
Ibis Styles Centre: key details
The design of the hotel, opened in March 2016, is inspired by the streets of Barcelona. The theme centres on the city’s emblematic paving tiles, or panots in Catalan.
Panots: what you need to know
- The best-known versions feature a four-petal flower or four circles. Installed from the early 20th Century onward, they’re particularly widespread in the modernist Eixample quarter around the Ibis Styles Cente hotel..
- The hexagonal panot is known as the “Gaudí panot”, as it was designed by the famous architect. In 1997, the city authorities decided to cover the Passeig de Gràcia in copies of the panot as a tribute to Gaudí.
The theme is clear from the outset, with hexagonal tiles running across the floor, around the coloured cushions and poufs, up the reception desk and onto the walls.
- All of the rooms in the hotel are well set-out, comfortable and equipped with air conditioning. They’re all the same price, too – from 89 euros, depending on the season.
- The rooms aren’t all identical, though – there are differences between floors, and different rooms are inspired by different panots.
- The views from the rooms also vary, depending on the floor and orientation – opening onto either a lightwell, Avigunda Diagonal, or the patio de Manzana (the large internal courtyard for the block).
- We recommend the lighter, brighter rooms with views of the patio or the avenue.
- The rooms looking out onto Avigunda Diagonal have excellent sound insulation.
- Some of the rooms also have a small terrace.
- Access to the breakfast buffet is included in the price of your room.
Our opinion of the city centre Ibis Styles
- The décor is fun and quirky, and we like the central, lively location.
- It’s a great base for exploring the city on foot, due to the number of sights within easy reach of the hotel.
Parking near the Ibis Styles Centre hotel
Ibis Styles Bogatell: a hotel with a pool, 10 minutes from the beach
Location of the Ibis Styles Bogatell hotel
- This hotel is located in the Poblenou quarter, right by the Bogatell metro station.
- The pretty beaches of Bogatell or Nova Icaia, near the Olympic Port, are an easy ten-minute walk away. You’ll also find a wealth of bars and restaurants, where you can enjoy a meal or drinks overlooking the sea.
Ibis Styles Bogatell hotel: key details
- The Ibis Styles Bogatell is a new construction, opened in late 2016. Boasting 230 rooms spread over 7 floors, it’s currently the biggest Ibis hotel in Spain.
- Like all of the Ibis Styles hotels, interior design is a major feature here. In this case, there’s a Mediterranean theme.
- The public areas of the hotel are incredibly spacious, and there’s a large internal terrace on the ground floor.
- There’s a panoramic 180º roof terrace complete with a bar and a small pool, perfect for sunbathing or cocktails overlooking the city.
- The hotel has a private carpark (around 14 euros/day)
- All of the rooms are decorated with a Mediterranean theme, and are light and bright. Some even have small private terraces. The design of the bathrooms is inspired by Gaudí’s mosaics.
Our opinion of the Ibis Styles Bogatell hotel
- Although the hotel isn’t that close to the city centre, it presents the huge advantage of being within easy reach of Barcelona’s best beaches (try saying that ten times quickly). The pool, terraces and facilities make it ideal for families who want to enjoy the beach and explore the city at a leisurely pace.
Ibis Glòries hotel: private parking, a 20-minute walk from the beach
Location of the Ibis Glòries hotel
Located in Barcelona’s business quarter, a 10-minute walk from the Bogatell hotel and near the Agbar Tower (photo above), this 2-star Ibis hotel is particularly calm and not too far from the beach – a 20-minute stroll is the perfect prequel to a dip in the sea!
Ibis Glòries: key details
- Looking for reception? You won’t find it. In this hotel, there’s a new and innovative system, with staff dotted around different areas of the hotel.
- The newly-renovated ground floor is spacious, colourful and welcoming.
- There’s a bike rental service on-site – why not take a ride around the neighbourhood, or cycle along the sea front?
- All of the hotel’s 140 rooms are light, bright and tranquil.
- There’s also a gym and an underground car park (around 12 euros/day).
Our opinion of the Ibis Glòries
- A spacious, welcoming and appealing hotel. The 22@ neighbourhood is sure to be a hit with architecture fans and photographers, thanks to the combination of innovative new buildings and art nouveau treasures from the last century.
- The location, between the beach and the business quarter of Barcelona, is good for both families and business travellers.
- The gym is an added bonus which you won’t find in any of the other Ibis hotels in the city.
Ibis Meridiana hotel: on the outskirts of the city
Location of the Ibis Meridiana
The Ibis Meridiana hotel is located on the avenue of the same name, on the outskirts of Barcelona. It’s a good ten-minute walk from the closest metro station, Fabra i Puig, between a Corte Inglés store and the Heron City shopping centre, home to the Mango outlet discussed in this article.
Ibis Meridiana hotel: key details
The Ibis Meridiana has 140 rooms spread across a huge 14-storey building.
This particular Ibis doesn’t have its own carpark, but you can leave your car at the neighbouring shopping centre (approx. 12 euros/day).
Our opinion of the Ibis Meridiana hotel
The hotel is great for business travellers needing to access offices in this part of Barcelona.
However, we wouldn’t recommend it for families or for travellers looking to enjoy the hustle and bustle of central Barcelona. It’s a bit too far from the nearest metro station, in an outlying and charmless part of the city. In our view, this is the least appealing of the Ibis hotels in Barcelona. .
Ibis Castelldefels hotel: 20 km from Barcelona and a 30-minute walk from the beach
Location of the Ibis Castelldefels
The Ibis Castelldefels is around twenty kilometres from Barcelona and 10 km from Barcelona El Prat airport. It’s also close to a major shopping centre, the Ànec Blau.
It boasts great transport links, located just a 10-minute walk from a train station, with regular trains to Barcelona (under 40 minutes).
It’s also within easy reach of Castelldefels beach and the long seafront promenade. You’re just a ten-minute drive or 30-minute walk from the Mediterranean, so don’t forget your swimming gear!
Ibis Castelldefels: interiors
- The public areas of the hotel have recently undergone a face-lift. The dining area is particularly colourful and striking.
- The standardised rooms are comfortable, well-equipped and bright. The views are nothing special, but there are no obstructions.
- The hotel offers free parking.
Ibis and Ibis Budget Barcelona Viladecans hotels: budget options close to the airport
The Ibis Viladecans hotel is a large, L-shaped establishment split into two parts: the two-star Ibis “proper” (above) and its cheaper sister, the Ibis Budget (below).
Location of the Ibis and Ibis Budget Viladecans hotels
The hotels are located around 15 km from central Barcelona, and around 6 km from both the beach and the airport. They’re an excellent choice if you’re just passing through and want to stay close to one of the two airport terminals.
Ibis and Ibis Budget Viladecans hotels: key details
- There’s a 24-hour cafeteria service, free outdoor parking and covered parking for a modest fee of 5 euros/day.
- The rooms at the Ibis Budget hotel are somewhat more basic than those in the classic Ibis.
- There’s a bus stop just in front of the hotels, with regular services into central Barcelona. The journey into the city takes around 45 minutes.
Our opinion of the Ibis and Ibis Budget Viladecans hotels
- The two hotels are located in an industrial zone, and are good options if you’re just passing through or on a particularly tight budget. However, they’re not the best bases for visiting the city – out of all of the Ibis establishment we’ve visited, these are the furthest from central Barcelona.
So there you have it! Ibis, Ibis Styles or Ibis Budget? Take your pick!
Like this article?
5.00/5 - 2 vote(s)
You may also like
About the author
Valérie, the creator of Barcelona Top Travel Tips, loves discovering new places, finding the words to describe them, and coming up with little illustrations for the website. Her favourite thing in Barcelona is the unusual, curvy architectural features of some of the city’s buildings. Some say she’s a dreamer… in any case, a city full of works by Gaudí is a great place for her!