Valentine’s Day in Barcelona
Article updated 28 August, 2019.
Spending Valentine's Day in Barcelona? Excellent idea! This short guide has everything you need for an unforgettable day.
As we mentioned in this article, Barcelona is a city packed with romantic charm – but Valentine’s Day isn’t celebrated quite so much here as elsewhere. In Catalonia, there’s a much older tradition of celebrating Sant Jordi’s Day, which combines love, friendship and literature. In Barcelona, 23rd April is the day for celebrating all things romantic.
Obviously, that shouldn’t stop you celebrating in style on 14th February!
Breakfast in bed
Start Valentine’s Day on the right note by bringing your partner breakfast in bed. Why not stock up on breakfast treats at one of the best bakeries in Barcelona?
If you’re staying near one of the city’s markets, even better – you’ll be able to buy fresh fruit juice to go with your croissants. Perfect!
To top it all off, nothing says “be mine” quite like flowers!
If you’re planning on presenting your loved one with a bouquet, we suggest a trip to the Rambla de les Flors, which is lined with flower stalls.
Another option is Navarro, a well-known florist’s shop on Carrer Valencia, near the Mercat de la Concepció. The store is open 24 hours a day, so if you want roses at 2am, you know where to go!
Close by, at 80 Carrer Roger de Lluria, you’ll find the retro and charming Flors Farrés. With personal service, a romantic atmosphere, pretty bouquets and magnificent orchids, you’re certain to fall head over heels!
There’s a long tradition of chocolate-making in Catalonia, as cacao beans from the New World came into Europe through the port of Barcelona.
- For tips on where to buy chocolates, see our article on Barcelona’s best chocolatiers.
Take a stroll, hand in hand
The Barri Gòtic is almost certainly the most romantic part of the city. Its narrow streets and medieval buildings give it an intimate charm, just perfect for lovers.
The area around Plaça de Sant Felip Neri, Carrer Banys Nou, de la Palla or de Sant Sever, is particularly charming.
Good news: restaurants in Barcelona are nowhere near as busy as in other places on Valentine’s Day. Many people from Barcelona prefer to celebrate their love on Sant Jordi’s day, on April 23.
Restaurants with a special Valentine’s menu
Here’s a list of restaurants which offer a special Valentine’s menu, but which we haven’t tested yet. To help you choose, we’ve arranged them in order of their ratings (highest first) on The Fork:
The first on the list is an excellent restaurant that we have tried, it is located in the neighbourhood of Gràcia: La Ferreria since 1987. It’s the perfect combination of elegance and good food!
- Click here to book a table at L’Éclair
- Click here to book a table at Forestier Hotel Miramar Barcelona
- Click here to book a table at Passadís del Pep
- Click here to book a table at Mercer
- Click here to book a table at Ginette Bar
- Click here to book a table at Marcelino 1968
Romantic restaurants in Barcelona
Here’s a small selection of romantic restaurants where you can enjoy a memorable Valentine’s meal:
- El Bitxo: A tiny restaurant packed with romantic charm, with warm, inviting décor and real flowers everywhere. The tapas are unusual, but tasty. Don’t forget to book ahead, and try to go at lunchtime for a more tranquil experience. For more details, see our article on the restaurant.
- Antigua: brick walls, soft lighting and top-quality mediterranean cuisine…book a table at Antigua!
- Caelis: the French chef Romain Fornell is in charge of operations at Caelis, the restaurant at the five-star Palace Hotel. If your budget allows, you can enjoy an exceptional gastronomic experience in a truly luxurious environment, on a par with some of the world’s best establishments.
- Alegra: another cosy, sophisticated restaurant. Alegra specialises in Catalan cuisine, particularly rice-based dishes (paella, risottos, etc.). Located in the Maremagnum centre, it offers fantastic views of the port.
- Market: don’t let a limited budget stop you from celebrating Valentine’s Day in style! The prices at the Market restaurant are very reasonable, and the light wood décor is elegant and charming.
- Agust: this gourmet tapas restaurant with a warm, welcoming feel is an excellent place to spend a memorable evening with your other half. It even offers a special Valentine’s menu! Click here to read our article on Agust and to book your table.
- If you need more ideas, we recommend our article on 3 romantic restaurants in the city!
End your evening with a cocktail
Finally, there’s nothing quite like the perfect cocktail to add the finishing touch to your romantic evening. Head to La Fianna for fantastic mojitos in a romantic, softly-lit atmosphere with a fairly young crowd.
For a more private atmosphere, try Les Gens que j’aime and be swept off your feet by their original creations.
Finally, lovers of all things hip should head to the Eclipse, a so-cool-it-hurts bar on the 26th floor of Hotel W. Prices are above average, but it’s worth paying a little extra for the views of the Barcelona coastline.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Like this article?