A Barcelona library card: discounts in more than 120 cultural sites
Article updated 15 April, 2019.
A Barcelona library card is free and provides heaps of advantages. It's a real top tip, just the way we like them.
If you are living in the Catalan capital, you may have considered joining the library. And you certainly should, as your library card entitles you to discounts in a huge number of the city’s cultural sites.
Library cards, free membership
Heaps of advantages
The Barcelona library card is completely free. It gives you access to the public libraries in Barcelona and Catalonia to borrow books, consult specialist works, join reading clubs or specific classes, use computers and also enjoy a huge number of reduced prices.
Joining municipal libraries in Barcelona
You can request a library card online by clicking here. Fill in the form, state which library you want to collect it from the next day, and you’re done! Super simple, right? Or if you prefer you can go and request a library card from the library of your choice.
- The library card is free (issuing a replacement card costs 1 euro).
- It does not expire.
- All Barcelona residents can request one.
- The library card is personal and non-transferable.
To collect your card you will need one of the following documents:
- DNI or NIE
- Driving licence
- Residence permit
To register a child who is under 14 you will need to present their DNI or NIE as well as an authorisation from their parent or legal guardian. The child will then have access to all library services.
Associations and institutions can also request a collective card in the name of the centre.
Barcelona library card discounts
On presentation of your Barcelona library card you will be entitled to discounts in more than 120 cultural sites:
- Museums: discounts at the Picasso Museum, the Miró Foundation, the Design Museum, the Museum of World Cultures, the Museum of the history of the city, the CCCB, MACBA, CaixaForum, CosmoCaixa…
- Theatre: reduced price at the La Villaroel, the Mercat de les flors, the Goya theatre, the Raval theatre, the Llantiol café theatre…
- Cinema: reduced price at the Catalan film library, in the Verdi cinemas, Méliès, Yelmo…
- Musical events: reductions on concerts in the Santa María del Mar Basilica, Jamboree, Tarantos, and Moog, and free entry on Fridays to the BeCool disco…
- Book shops: 5% off at Altaïr, La Central, Laie, Loring art, Casa del llibre…
- Festivals: reduced rate at the Barcelona international comic salon, D’A and DocsBarcelona film festivals, events at the Festival Grec, Guitar Festival and Barcelona international Jazz festival…
- Others: reductions at Poble Espanyol, on cooking lessons at Espai gastronòmic aula canela fina, the zoo, Tibidabo, the Aquarium…
Map of Barcelona’s municipal libraries
It’s super easy to find your nearest library. Just check out this interactive map of Barcelona’s public libraries.
Now, isn’t that a nice tip?
Like this article?