Activities in Barcelona: our best tips for discovering the city
Article updated 5 June, 2019.
Looking for things to do and see during your stay in Barcelona? Follow our plan to make the most of the Catalan capital!
Activities to do during your stay in Barcelona? A huge question that’s not easy to answer. There are visits and activities in the city to suit all budgets, tastes and needs!
To help you choose we have put together our best tips for discovering the many sides of the Catalan capital. Ready? Let’s go!
Activities in Barcelona for culture lovers: visit one of Gaudí’s masterpieces
Gaudi is a symbolic character in Barcelona, whose architectural works can be seen all over the landscape. So you can’t miss visiting one of them during your stay in Barcelona!
- The most impressive? The Sagrada Familia, Parc Güell, Casa Batlló and La Pedrera.
- The lesser known ones to save for your next trip to Barcelona? The Palau Güell, Torre Bellesguard and Gaudí’s crypt.
- Some (very) useful information: You should definitely book your fast-track tickets online! This will help you avoid standing in endless queues at the entrance.
- Click here to buy your fast-track ticket for the Sagrada Familia.
- Click here to buy your fast-track ticket to Parc Güell
- If you want to discover Parc Güell and the Sagrada Familia in a small group with a specialist guide, we recommend a combined visit with José, a very nice and professional guide!
Activities in Barcelona to get off the beaten track: an unusual tour
A bike trip
Are you interested in an unusual and educational tour? Get on your bike! The guides are either Catalan or foreigners who ave lived for a very long time in Barcelona, and they all share the same desire to show off the Catalan capital, as well as share their experiences living in the city.
For shopaholics: a tour of Barcelona’s boutiques and outlet stores
Love a bargain? head to Barcelona! Here, Spanish brands like Mango, Zara, Pull and Bear or even Bershka are on sale for lower prices. You can also find in the 4 corners of the city, many outlets with knock-down prices all year round!
- La Roca Village is a gigantic outlet where you can find big international prices at frankly unbeatable prices!
For football fans: Tour Camp Nou with an expert
If you’re football craxy and you dream of visiting Camp Nou in Barcelona, take a guided tour with an expert !he will show you every inch of the stadium and has no shortage of colorful anecdotes!
For small budgets: free walking tours of the city
- You must know that Barcelona is a seaside city. Enjoy a seaside stroll (and why not take a dip at the same time?)
- If you’re a history geek, head to the gothic quarter, the city’s historical centre. get lost in its cobbled streets and prepare to come face to face with remnants of the Roman era.
- What would you say to a free walk to discover the city’s Art Nouveau treasures?
- Nature lovers should head to the hill at Montjuïc! Enjoy the luscious vegetation and a beautiful view of the city!
- Finally, let yourself be inspired by our list of 20 ways to have fun in Barcelona without spending a penny!
For foodies: take a tapas tour
if local cuisine is the main focus of your trip, you will not be disappointed with Barcelona! the city is bursting with tapas bars offering excellent value. No need to tighten your belt (which is just as well)!
- In Poble Sec, you can feast on low price pinchos!
- For an authentic atmosphere, the picturesque tapas bars of Barceloneta, such as Cova Fumada or Jai-Ca
- If you’re looking for elegance as well as delicious tapas, we recommend those on the Rambla Catalunya.
For party animals: a nocturnal tour of bars and discos
Barcelona is known for its party atmosphere! With its mild climate, the streets and squares are often very lively and the terraces of the local bars become unique party settings!
Fancy a dance?
- Head to the seafront clubs such as Opium, if you love commercial music and you’re looking for an international atmosphere.
- For electronica fans, head out to Razzmatazz, Apolo or Moog.
- At Plaça Reial, you will also find a number of nightclubs such as Karma (varied music), Side Car (Rock) or Jamboree (Hip Hop and R’n’B).
- If you;re planning to hit a number of Barcelona’s clubs, we recommend the Barcelona Night Card! This card gets you access to 22 clubs in the city for just 19 euros!
- Good to know: the party starts quite late in Barcelona! In Spain, it’s usual to have dinner between 9pm and 10pm and to head out to the club around 2 or 3 in the morning.
Now you know all the things you can do in Barcelona,all you have to do is choose! It’s your call!
Activities in Barcelona: save time with fast-track passes and tickets!
- Barcelona Card: Discounts and unlimited journeys on public transport in Barcelona
- Articketbcn: a passport to art in Barcelona
Like this article?