Top tips to optimise your stay in Barcelona
Article updated 31 January, 2018.
Here, you'll find top tips and useful information to make the most of your trip to Barcelona. For budget-saving hints, the best advice and a touch of the unexpected; read on.
A trip to Barcelona can be a dream come true, but a little preparation goes a long way in making sure that the reality lives up to your expectations.
Top tips to save money when visiting Barcelona
- Remember to bring any forms of ID which might get you a reduction in various places: student ID or proof of age.
- Buy your tickets to tourist attractions online via our Book a visit category. This will often get you a reduction of between 5 and 10%!
- If you’re planning on visiting a lot of different attractions, consider buying an all-on-one card such as the articketbcn, the city pass or the barcelona card.
Ways to save time during your stay
The tourist bus
In the high season, avoid catching the tourist bus at the busiest stops (Sagrada Familia, Pedrera, Park Güell etc.) By walking to the previous, or next, stop, you’ll avoid lengthy queues.
- Hint: book ahead for money off.
- See our article: From two days to two weeks: planning your trip to Barcelona.
- Avoid changing trains at big stations such as Sants, Passeig de Gràcia or Catalunya, to avoid having to walk for miles along their interminable corridors. A short walk above ground to the next station is much nicer.
Choose your season wisely
- Plan to visit in late autumn, winter or early spring. By coming to Barcelona in the low season, you’ll avoid hours of queueing and the whole thing will be that much easier. With the local climate, you’re sure to have a few sunny days whenever you choose to visit.
Our advice: take it easy!
Barcelona is not somewhere to be rushed around in a hurry. It’s best discovered slowly.
- Museums and tourist attractions are all well and good, and yes, well worth visiting. But to really get under the skin of Barcelona, take time to wander up and down the small side-streets, watch the inhabitants go about their everyday lives, stop for a drink in a local bar, relax on the terrace of a café and explore the city’s intriguing nooks and crannies.
Run out of time for all the visits you had planned? No problem! You’ll just have to come back…
Take us with you!
Like this article?